TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IPT Valvebody - Post Install Question and Rant

I finally got my IPT VB done and installed on my new replacement transmission after about 3 months of finding parts and time.. Anyhow, my transmission isn't shifting as I expected. It does shift quicker but it's not as firm or crisp as some of you have described. The 1st to 2nd shift is so quick that I don't even feel it. The engagement is rather smooth and I don't think it would ever bark tires. Not that I want to bark tires all of the time but it would be nice to have that type of performance capability... Also the transmission seems to jump and make more noise when put into gear. Is that normal? I'm hoping it's just breaking in and will improve over time.

BTW, I would love to talk to John about this but the guy doesn't return phone calls. I've called him at least 10 times in the last week and a half and haven't received a call back. WTF? Everyone thats done business with him brags about how great the service & support is but I don't see it. I'm not a rude or mean person by any means so I don't know why he would duck me. The 'other' John that works in the shop usually picks up and he takes a message but I never get a call back. He also doesn't reply to my emails. I'm tired of calling and feeling like a pest and I shouldn't have to.

Maybe I should've paid a little more and gone to Level10. Let's just say I'm glad I didn't pay them $3k for the rebuild as I considered. I really hate to be the one to deliver negative feedback on someone's thats been good to other ttora members. But I think I've been more then patient on waiting for some simple support.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have been in Cali for the last week. I will be back in Maryland next week. If you want to come to Southern Maryland and take me for a ride in your truck, I will tell you if it is normal or not.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have experienced everything you discribe as well, shifting and John returning phone calls, I've never spoken to him because he'd never call me back.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been in Cali for the last week. I will be back in Maryland next week. If you want to come to Southern Maryland and take me for a ride in your truck, I will tell you if it is normal or not.
Thanks Gadget. I'm just across the bridge in King George. I would like to take you up on that when you've got the time.

Justin

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have experienced everything you discribe as well, shifting and John returning phone calls, I've never spoken to him because he'd never call me back.
Thanks man. I felt like it was just me after reading all of the great things about IPT. I think he may've become a victim of his own success. Maybe he is too busy to provide the type of service & support that he once did?? I don't know..

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I rechecked my fluid over the weekend and it was about a quart high. Since draining it, the shifting has improved. I think mine is ok other then the noise. I got this transmission from a salvage yard and it only had 12k miles on it. It looks brand new... So, I'm not sure if the sound would've existed before the upgraded VB.

·
Registered
320 Posts
As far as getting in and out of gear goes your right the truck will jump a little more, especially when shifting into reverse. Also my 1st to 2ed shift is not super snapy like 2ed to 3ed and 3ed to 4th are, but I am 95% sure that it is because of the actual size of the second gear. It is by no means a race geared trany and it seems like second is a very long gear. As far as the noise goes Iam not sure, was there any part of the installation that you did not understand that might have resulted in a faulty installation of the VB? As far as the service goes I can't speak on his behalf, but I had great service only one month ago when my Vb was worked. If I had to complain it would be about the $120 next day shipping charge they taged me with to get the VB back to me, but it takes alot of expensive jet fuel to get from Jersey to Cali over night.:2cents:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as getting in and out of gear goes your right the truck will jump a little more, especially when shifting into reverse. Also my 1st to 2ed shift is not super snapy like 2ed to 3ed and 3ed to 4th are, but I am 95% sure that it is because of the actual size of the second gear. It is by no means a race geared trany and it seems like second is a very long gear. As far as the noise goes Iam not sure, was there any part of the installation that you did not understand that might have resulted in a faulty installation of the VB? As far as the service goes I can't speak on his behalf, but I had great service only one month ago when my Vb was worked. If I had to complain it would be about the $120 next day shipping charge they taged me with to get the VB back to me, but it takes alot of expensive jet fuel to get from Jersey to Cali over night.:2cents:
My transmission shifts exactly as you described. The noise doesn't sound harsh but it wasn't there on my old trans. Like I said it's not fair to blame the VB, because I don't know the history of the trans. It still shifts great, so I'm not going to worry about it too much.

I'm disappointed with the service big time. I will leave it at that...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts