TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Summer here and the work and abuse our trucks take, I was curios about some temperatures on the differential and the transmission.
The infrared images show the importance of using the correct gear lube and maintaining the drivetrain.
These pictures were taken on an 85 to 90 deg day after a 40 mile road trip through the hills around So.Cal.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
What lube do you use? Have you ever used anything different and taken pics of that as well?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! I never would have suspected the rear diff reaching 170. Granted I've never crawled under my truck and caressed the diff...whether it be cold or hot. What exactly are we looking at on the 187*/180* pic, trans? Pretty cool imagery.
It is pretty interesting how much heat is generated at the diff.
Yes 187 and 180 is the side of the transmission the blue (cooler area is the bottom pan area.)
I am looking at maybe opening up a few areas on the skid plates to get a little more flow through ventilation.

What lube do you use? Have you ever used anything different and taken pics of that as well?
It would be interesting to see what different lubes would do. I am using synthetic Lucas 75-90w.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts