TTORA Forum banner

Iridum sparkplug gapping tool

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  REDMARLIN WITH SOUL 
#1 · (Edited)
Gapping iridium sparkplugs

Im soon going to be changing my plugs with some denso iridium plugs in my normally asperated engine along with new wires and i was wondering how can you gap iridium sparkplugs? Are they any different than other plugs as far as gapping concerns? Thanks.

#3 ·
TRDUSA2002 said:
Im soon going to be changing my plugs with some denso iridium plugs in my normally asperated engine along with new wires and i was wondering how can you gap iridium sparkplugs? Are they any different than other plugs as far as gapping concerns? Thanks.

It is my understanding that denso iridium (IK's) come pre-gapped and you don't want to go messin with that fine wire electrode. Best wait until more posts show up to confirm or dispute my input.

#5 ·
Gadget said:
No plug come pre-gapped for the 5vz engine. No matter what plug you use you must adjust the gap to factory specs.
Gadget,

Little off topic. I bought some "Rapid Fire" plugs for my 67 Firebird years ago (97 or so) and they came pregapped and the parts guy and the side of the box said that should not be regapped. Of course i knew better so I regapped them and the next day i was driving to work and had a HUGE backfire at a stop sign when I was taking off and the car stalled out. I pulled the plugs and two had lost the bottom of the L on the eletrode. I called the plug makers (I think it was AC DELCO) and they told me before i said anything about regapping that it was due to the plugs being regapped.

So now my question. Are there any plugs for the taco that should really not be regapped? Any idea what was up with these plugs?

My only guess was that they were made out of somthing really brittle and regapping them put to much stress on them.

#6 ·
Irium plugs and gapping

Gadget said:
No plug come pre-gapped for the 5vz engine. No matter what plug you use you must adjust the gap to factory specs.

I contacted Scott Huston of Denso and his reply is as follows: "You do NOT have to gap them. They are ready to use out of the box."
I do not have the boxes but I think it stated that they were gapped to 0.032. My dealer installed them from the box. My truck is running fine at this point but if it ever starts to waver I will be sure to have the gap checked to make sure they are correct.

02 Pre Runnner; 3.4, auto, S/C with 7th kit, headers and exhaust, Denso IK 20 gapped at 0.032

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.