TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to get my hands on some 1.25" O.D. tubing with .120 wall for free. Was hoping to make some sliders, bed bar and maybe bumpers out of it, but all the threads I have read show everybody using atleast 1.5". So what do you think ? Is it too small to handle some abuse?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
As far as my knowledge goes, it will work, but you're better off just using it for a bed bar and minor stuff and leave the sliders, bumpers and other heavy duty protection to 1.5, I prefer 1.75.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
it would be heavier and more work but you could build some 3 railed sliders? i dunno if it would look gay or not tho

·
Registered
764 Posts
if you put enough supports in the middle and enough frame attachment points i think you could make it happen. it'd just be a lot more tubing to use than you would have to with a larger diameter tube of course

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Grant said:
I was able to get my hands on some 1.25" O.D. tubing with .120 wall for free. Was hoping to make some sliders, bed bar and maybe bumpers out of it, but all the threads I have read show everybody using atleast 1.5". So what do you think ? Is it too small to handle some abuse?
I wouldn't use 1.25 OD... Go with a min 1 1/2" .120 wall. I would go with 1 3/4.120 unless you go with DOM. the 1 1/4 .120 stuff will dent and bend easier!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Thickness is fine, dia a bit small. 1.5 dia .120 wall would be better. But, the material is free, what do you have to lose? Try it and get back to us on how it worked out for ya.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to get started on the bed bar tonight. After that I might build some sliders out of the 1.25 I'll just make them bolt on. I guess i should see if I can get some free 1.5. It never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Grant said:
I'm going to get started on the bed bar tonight. After that I might build some sliders out of the 1.25 I'll just make them bolt on. I guess i should see if I can get some free 1.5. It never hurts to ask.

just finished up my bedbar 1.5" 120 wall tubing

just needs paint :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Where are you getting all of this free metal?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
99FlowedTaco said:
just finished up my bedbar 1.5" 120 wall tubing

just needs paint :D
Mine is going to look like that but with 2 tubes going across. 1 straight and 1 with a 45 bend on each end. With a high lift below the bottom one and lights on the top. I want 2 because I need something to stop my atv before it hits the back window.

Tonight I got 1.5 x 1.5 x .125 angle 5" long bolted to the side rails with 1 x .125 bar 8" long as the washer bolted down. And the straight tube welded to the angle. I'll post a pic when it's done.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Driver12518 said:
Where are you getting all of this free metal?
Well this doesn't happen very often, but where I used to work had a bunch of tubing that the bends weren't in the right place or something so one of the guys called and asked if I wanted it. He didn't have to ask twice , he knew I'd take it.

After looking at it today I'm not sure what it is.
It's closer to 1 5/16 outside and 1 1/16 inside than 1 1/4 and 1.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Grant said:
Well this doesn't happen very often, but where I used to work had a bunch of tubing that the bends weren't in the right place or something so one of the guys called and asked if I wanted it. He didn't have to ask twice , he knew I'd take it.

After looking at it today I'm not sure what it is.
It's closer to 1 5/16 outside and 1 1/16 inside than 1 1/4 and 1.
Sounds like 1" sched 40 pipe, not 1-1/4 tube. It will get bent and dented, but it can work. For sliders, I would have to side with the crowd, and say 1-3/4".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts