TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Chicks Dig Body Damage
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if I went with a set of custom Deavers would 3" be too much for them to arch? Would I have good flex still? Would the ride be choppy with some Bil 5100's?

The reason I ask is because I want to get rid of my damn blocks and want to get a set of leaves (either custom or set to 3" already). But, I have heard that getting a set of leaves arched to 3" of lift may take away from ride quality and/or flex. Is this true?

Thanks, Jason

Also, are there any leaves for our Tacos already set to gain 3". I know I have seen Wheeler's, Hoes, Deavers, OME's, but they are not for 3".

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
jbstrd said:
I was just wondering if I went with a set of custom Deavers would 3" be too much for them to arch? Would I have good flex still? Would the ride be choppy with some Bil 5100's?

The reason I ask is because I want to get rid of my damn blocks and want to get a set of leaves (either custom or set to 3" already). But, I have heard that getting a set of leaves arched to 3" of lift may take away from ride quality and/or flex. Is this true?

Thanks, Jason

Also, are there any leaves for our Tacos already set to gain 3". I know I have seen Wheeler's, Hoes, Deavers, OME's, but they are not for 3".
the spring shop that re-arched my springs told me that 3" is the limit of the OE sized springs. the spring length seems to be the limiting factor. Aftermarket custom springs can be made for more lift, however, by using longer leaves with more arch.
adding leaves to OE springs or going with any other heavy duty setup will always stiffen up the ride...nature of the beast. You can get springs that flex great but they won't hold much weight. Springs that are designed to handle more weight won't flex as well. It's a trade-off; you can't have both.

flexy springs can be easily damaged from too much negative arch during wheel stuff. 2" past flat seems to be the max before damage occurs. Taller bumpstops will fix this problem.
another problem is finding shocks that are long enough to not be maxed out at full droop but will not bottom out at full stuff. relocating the shocks to a
/ \ configuration seems to help with this but if you put them at too steep an angle they aren't able to do their job of dampening the springs. So, you have to find a stiff enough shock that will still function at the steeper angles.

it never ends.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
jbstrd said:
I was just wondering if I went with a set of custom Deavers would 3" be too much for them to arch? Would I have good flex still? Would the ride be choppy with some Bil 5100's? The reason I ask is because I want to get rid of my damn blocks and want to get a set of leaves (either custom or set to 3" already). But, I have heard that getting a set of leaves arched to 3" of lift may take away from ride quality and/or flex. Is this true? Also, are there any leaves for our Tacos already set to gain 3". I know I have seen Wheeler's, Hoes, Deavers, OME's, but they are not for 3".
Deaver can make springs for 3" of lift, and they should ride and flex very well. From what I understand they're the type of manufacturer that you can call and tell them your needs (lift, load capacity, etc.), and they'll make the springs to order. Obviously it's not as cheap as one of their "off the shelf" 7-leaf packs, but that's to be expected.

Alcan is the other most popular company for leaf springs, and they will make them according to your needs, much like Deaver. You can also check out All-Pro Offroad, but from horror stories I've heard from other members, I wouldn't recommend doing business with them. I only mention them because you may not care about others' experiences, and they may have a viable option for you.

Another option to consider, although considerably more work, is to go with Chevy springs, which provide about 3" of lift. Run a search... there's been a few threads about them... they also have the years/vehicles you'd want to get them from. The main drawback to going with the Chevy's is that you have to weld a new front hanger a little farther forward from your stock hanger. Apparently the Chevy's provide a good ride and flex very well, plus they're inexpensive.

Wheelers and Donahoe do not make springs. The springs that come with the Donahoe kits available at places like DeMello are Deavers. Wheelers sells Deavers and a stock replacement pack that is made by another company (not sure who).

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
http://www.customsuspension.com/

these guys are in Canada. I've only seem a couple posts about their springs on Tacos though. They did answer my questions via email quickly, however.

I run NWOR's HD springs. great for load but not for flex.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Getting a set of deavers which will give you 2" of lift, and then a 1" shackle would work as well. The shackles will over time wear out the arc in the springs, but it's not like you'll be rearc every month; every year- maybe.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hytenor What questions did you ask them. I saw a set they did for a Tacoma and they looked pretty good. I paid $190 a spring for a set of 7 leaf 7inch of theirs. Still have not recieved them yet. Should be next week. They are probaly going to be to stiff and I will have to take a leaf out.

·
Chicks Dig Body Damage
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the insight. I think that, since I never haul very much, but tend to carry weight once in a while, the best thing for me would be to have Deaver make me up a set custom to me. I would probably have them tuned more for flexing but not so soft that they will not carry any extra weight.

Thanks again, Jason

·
Chicks Dig Body Damage
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anybody buy a set of custom deavers recently that may want to give me a heads up on what a pair might cost?

Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Will Knox said:
Hytenor What questions did you ask them. I saw a set they did for a Tacoma and they looked pretty good. I paid $190 a spring for a set of 7 leaf 7inch of theirs. Still have not recieved them yet. Should be next week. They are probaly going to be to stiff and I will have to take a leaf out.

hey will, please keep us updated on your springs. i'm very interested in how these perform. thanks!

rick

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
jbstrd said:
Anybody buy a set of custom deavers recently that may want to give me a heads up on what a pair might cost?

Thanks

I just got Alcans for about 5" lift and installed them with AOR shackles. The rear sits higher than the front now. They seem pretty stiff, but i also had them add an extra half leaf because I haul heavy weight alot. I doubt they will flex well right now, but after they break in a little hopefully they will. I paid about $500 fo rthe set and it came with new Poly bushings. If your springs are old, there is a good chance that the bolts may be frozen in the bushings. On mine, one shackle came out easy, the other had to be cut and torched out. Both of the front spring hanger bolts had to be ground off and removed as they were totally frozen. Just a heads up as replacing springs can be a PITA!

·
Chicks Dig Body Damage
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
joeylead said:
I just got Alcans for about 5" lift and installed them with AOR shackles. The rear sits higher than the front now. They seem pretty stiff, but i also had them add an extra half leaf because I haul heavy weight alot. I doubt they will flex well right now, but after they break in a little hopefully they will. I paid about $500 fo rthe set and it came with new Poly bushings. If your springs are old, there is a good chance that the bolts may be frozen in the bushings. On mine, one shackle came out easy, the other had to be cut and torched out. Both of the front spring hanger bolts had to be ground off and removed as they were totally frozen. Just a heads up as replacing springs can be a PITA!
Thanks for the info.

Jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts