TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know I am opening myself up for some jokes with the thread title but I have some questions. Believe me...I have searched on this one.

A little history.
I have an 07 DC TRD. This is my third lifted Toyota (4th gen runner, 3rd gen runner, and now this). I have used OME to lift all of them. Both Runners were 2.5" lift.

The situation:
With the help of ARB I have lifted my truck 3". The lift was done as an experiment by putting toytec 1/2" spacer on the top of 886 coils and Dakars on the rear. We (ARB and myself) did this as a little experiment to see if the 886 would have too much downtravel with the spacers. We wanted to make sure it could (or should) be done as they work with Toytec and don't want people having complications.

The results:
With a winch and bumper the setup provides 3" of lift (3" and 1/8th to be exact"). The UCAs hit the coils when the suspension unloads and it has very limited down travel (to be expected). We also found the CV angles are less than desireable. After about 500miles the CV boots are already showing some signs of wear.

Ok obviously none of these conditions are good. We are taking the spacers out and the experiment proved what we already suspected. 3" (atleast using OME 886s) is too much.

So my question is how are other companies doing this? I understand new UCAs could help with that problem but what about the CVs? 3" is 3" so if you are using Revtek, toytec or any other combination to get a 3" lift how are you dealing with the CV angles? I considered the diff drop but given the vibration issues people have had I am nervous about this option.

Personally, I love the way it looks with 3" and if I can find a way to put it back that way without CV problems I will do it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been searching. But when you search for high angle CVs or cv boots you get all the driveline manufacturers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
BIGTOYOTA
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing