TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to drive around without a rear bumper in CA? i want to take out my rear bumper to lighten the load and to look cool haha

·
Banned
722 Posts
dondiemand said:
to drive around without a rear bumper in CA? i want to take out my rear bumper to lighten the load and to look cool haha
Good reasoning. I can see why someone would want to take off a 50# bumper to cruise around town and look cool and risk getting rear ended and instead of just taking out a bumper and maybe some repairable bedsides, you take out the whole bed. I'd say if you wannt go that route get a roll pan. Still offer's little protection and is generally useless, but at least you'll get the look you're after.

·
Administrator
18,233 Posts
Yes, its illegal to drive with the bumper removed.

CVC 28071. Every passenger vehicle registered in this state shall be equipped with a front bumper and with a rear bumper. As used in this section, "bumper" means any device designed and intended by a manufacturer to prevent the front or rear of the body of the vehicle from coming into contact with any other motor vehicle. This section shall not apply to any passenger vehicle that is required to be equipped with an energy absorption system pursuant to either state or federal law, or to any passenger vehicle which was not equipped with a front or rear bumper, or both, at the time that it was first sold and registered under the laws of this or any other state or foreign jurisdiction.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ShowStop said:

CVC 28071. Every passenger vehicle registered in this state shall be equipped with a front bumper and with a rear bumper. As used in this section, "bumper" means any device designed and intended by a manufacturer to prevent the front or rear of the body of the vehicle from coming into contact with any other motor vehicle. This section shall not apply to any passenger vehicle that is required to be equipped with an energy absorption system pursuant to either state or federal law, or to any passenger vehicle which was not equipped with a front or rear bumper, or both, at the time that it was first sold and registered under the laws of this or any other state or foreign jurisdiction.

ahh danggit!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
ShowStop said:

i wonder if this counts :rolleyes:

ive never been hassled for it

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
drabnor said:
i wonder if this counts :rolleyes:

ive never been hassled for it
I'd say that counts. Unless you're me then I'll get pulled over for it for sure hehehe. I got rolled 2 more times since I posted about that topic. Sick :xsmokin1: still no ticket cause they couldn't find what they were looking for :woot:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Keep in mind that your insurance won't like it very much if you get into an accident. There is no reason they should have to pay for a new bed when it could have just been a bumper.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
So what do they do about the older trucks? I remember a time that a rear bumper was an option. A lot of dealerships would put them on as a 'courtesy' but of course the buyer paid for it...

·
Registered
414 Posts
That's different. They insure what the factory came with. If your truck didn't come with a bumper, then they don't expect you to have one. The issue is that he purpusely, consciously, and intentionally, removed his rear bumper, which has a great chance to increase damage during an accident. I really can't say how they'd handle it, but they sure as hell wouldn't like it. ;)

·
Administrator
18,233 Posts
ocdropzone said:
So what do they do about the older trucks? I remember a time that a rear bumper was an option. A lot of dealerships would put them on as a 'courtesy' but of course the buyer paid for it...
The last part of the VC stated that vehicles that were first sold without a bumper were exempt. So, if your truck came with a bumper, you gotta leave it on. If it didn't, your cool to run without it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
ShowStop said:
The last part of the VC stated that vehicles that were first sold without a bumper were exempt. So, if your truck came with a bumper, you gotta leave it on. If it didn't, your cool to run without it.

yup..... my 85 didnt have a rear bumper, jsut had these little rubber tabs on the bottom of the bed, thats it....

·
Registered
328 Posts
jimbo74 said:
yup..... my 85 didnt have a rear bumper, jsut had these little rubber tabs on the bottom of the bed, thats it....

That liscense plate frame should piss off your local cops!!!
Don't ask me how I know, but they don't like the smoked covers either!!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Rock-N-Ruin said:
That liscense plate frame should piss off your local cops!!!
Don't ask me how I know, but they don't like the smoked covers either!!!

they never hassled me about the frame, its eye, is actually reflective too..... i no longer have it, some f150 doing 80 when i was doing 40 decided it didnt like my truck

·
Registered
33 Posts
if you get rear ended then maby they would just think it got lost, i know a guy that flipped a z71 tahoe and they could never find either passenger side wheels...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
dondiemand said:
I've never known anyone to be hassled about no rear bumper, I don't have one either; however, why would you take it off to look cool? Either get a custom tube one, or just leave it on. I know I can feel the difference of 50 pounds in my bed, and I'd prefer the extra weight. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
dondiemand said:
Go drive near Ocotillo wells and find out how illegal it is. You want to look cool??? Get a cool bumper made. Every time I see some prerunner pulled over by the cops with no mudflaps, no bumper, lights not covered, I think to myself..." How cool does that flatbill brainless mutherfucker look with his hands in his pockets, while the cop is smiling writing him a 3 page fix-it ticket on his hacked heap of shit??" My next thought about the dumbass with no bumper involves midgets dressed as Santa, a stripper with bologna, and I almost crash into a ditch because I am laughing so hard at a guy just like...YOU. ;)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Go drive near Ocotillo wells and find out how illegal it is. You want to look cool??? Get a cool bumper made. Every time I see some prerunner pulled over by the cops with no mudflaps, no bumper, lights not covered, I think to myself..." How cool does that flatbill brainless mutherfucker look with his hands in his pockets, while the cop is smiling writing him a 3 page fix-it ticket on his hacked heap of shit??" My next thought about the dumbass with no bumper involves midgets dressed as Santa, a stripper with bologna, and I almost crash into a ditch because I am laughing so hard at a guy just like...YOU. ;)
hehe, feel better? :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rojodiablo said:
LOL yeah, i get your point..actually, my real concern is my safety..so i dont think i'll take my bumper off, ever..or maybe just replace it :xsmokin1:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts