TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 01' pre-runner V6 with aprox 52k on it and I have noticed a squeeling here in the past few days. I had my 30k service at around 45k and remember them saying the breaks were in good shape to my suprise. About how many miles should you get out of the factory brake pads???

I can't tell if the sqeelling is from the brakes telling me they are worn or if its comming from the engine bay. It seems to stop when I'm standing still running at idle but, as soon as I start to move it starts again... I'm no mechanic but, I can usually tell when it's the breakes. Any ideas? Should I just replace the brake pads and see if it stops the noise?

Thanks,

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
Take a tire off and look at the pads. If you see the wear indicator is making the noise. However it should only make the noise when you apply the brakes, not all the time, and not when standing still.

Other things that that can squeel on vehicles, is the power steering pump, any of the belts.... Open the hood and listen.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
"
txtaco1 said:
I have an 01' pre-runner V6 with aprox 52k on it and I have noticed a squeeling here in the past few days. I had my 30k service at around 45k and remember them saying the breaks were in good shape to my suprise. About how many miles should you get out of the factory brake pads???"

>The brakes pads on my tacoma has over 90,000 miles on it. It's still in good shape...it should last another 30,000 or more. Sorry I can't help on the noise problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
373 Posts
If it is the rears that are doing it, it may be brake dust in the drums. You might get away with just hitting them good with an air hose or pull the drums and clean out the dust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,478 Posts
It's not your breaks. CHECK YOUR _BRAKES !!! BEFORE THEY _BREAK!!
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
txtaco1 said:
I have an 01' pre-runner V6 with aprox 52k on it and I have noticed a squeeling here in the past few days. I had my 30k service at around 45k and remember them saying the breaks were in good shape to my suprise. About how many miles should you get out of the factory brake pads???

I can't tell if the sqeelling is from the brakes telling me they are worn or if its comming from the engine bay. It seems to stop when I'm standing still running at idle but, as soon as I start to move it starts again... I'm no mechanic but, I can usually tell when it's the breakes. Any ideas? Should I just replace the brake pads and see if it stops the noise?

Thanks,

Jason
AT or 5-speed? do you brake had and/or at the last minute to stop? driving habits make all the difference in pad life. I still have the OE pads on my '94 5-sp Corolla with 152K miles. If the guys at toyota hadn't been doing all the maintenance on it they wouldn't believe it, LOL I got 138K out of the rear shoes. My wife's RAV4, on the other hand, got less than 30k on the front pads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must be a bad driver then! LOL! I try to stay off the brakes and not stop hard unless necessary. Anyway... It was the breaks. I changed to some ceramic pads and now the noise is gone and I have new breaks! Thanks for the info.

Jason
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
txtaco1 said:
I must be a bad driver then! LOL! I try to stay off the brakes and not stop hard unless necessary. Anyway... It was the breaks. I changed to some ceramic pads and now the noise is gone and I have new breaks! Thanks for the info.

Jason
hey now, I didn't say 'bad' driver :p
brake wear seems to be a crap-shoot from my experience. sometimes you get a good set of pads/shoes and sometimes you don't
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought 52k was pretty good and to be honest now that I think about it the pads were only about 50% used by the looks of the new ones, I probably could have adjusted the little warning indicator with a pair of pliers and gone longer. Huh, should have thought of that yestrerday!!! LOL!!! Anyway, thanks for the info.

Jason
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
txtaco1 said:
I thought 52k was pretty good and to be honest now that I think about it the pads were only about 50% used by the looks of the new ones, I probably could have adjusted the little warning indicator with a pair of pliers and gone longer. Huh, should have thought of that yestrerday!!! LOL!!! Anyway, thanks for the info.

Jason
heck, I run my pads down to a couple 32nds ;)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top