TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so am i missing something along this whole selling of my 40, i have had a couple people come out and drive it around town say its great driver but then tell me its not worth more the 6500. is that the going rate for a built 40 on one tons. had several people call and say the same thing without even coming and looking at it. i dont understand i thought it was priced at a reasonable amount, is it over priced, how low should i be willing to except on price offers. its an awesome cruiser and very capable for offroad and on road i have it registered and plated so i drive it all over town. please any insight on this would be great, dont wont to rob myself in selling too low. here is a link to the listing and a pic.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64256

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
I saw your listing on MUD, so I'll give you my first impression.

Honestly justyou, you have to believe that there is an ass for every seat.

In reality, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it. If you have time, try fleabay as a last resort... you never know.

Sadly, if you don't have time, you will lose your ass on it to dump it.. kind of like hocking stuff at a pawn shop.

Now for the money part- please be thick skinned, I'm just calling it as I see it- there is no mention of condition of the tub, but hurculiner=cheap coverage of rust in many 40 buyer's eyes.

The conversion of your rig and the many mods make it useless to a collector, so your target market is the gnarly guys... unfortunately, they tend to be the cheapskates who like to hack their own shit up. Big time high rollers who want a "pretty" rock crawling 40 are gonna pay serious money, but it will be for something that doesn't look (to them) like it's been booty-fabbed and rode hard/put away wet.

I am not trying to knock your ride at all- it is bad ass for what you built it for- but you are now discovering you have a limited audience that doesn't want to pay top dollar for something that's only gonna get beat on.

Despite all the time and money you've sunk into it, yours is probably worth no more than an normally rusted, incomplete, restorable, pre-1974 is worth... about 4-5k around these parts.

The guy was a little generous (probably because of your location), so if he offered $6,500 you should take the money and run IMHO. :2cents:

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
x2 pretty much what Chris said.

If you want top dollar, you're going to have to limit your market to those who appreciate and truly understand what you've done. You're not going to get that in AutoTrader, etc - your market is now limited to advertising here, MUD, and Pirate... if you need to unload it in a timely manner, you're going to have to sell it as a "normal" 40, and get "normal" 40 prices for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input

hey guys thanks for all the input so far, i knew i would only get half if that of what was put into it and givin it is set toward a limited group does indeed hurt the sell price. after posting this thread i went to several sites (ebay,mud, etc.) and did notice the same thing that you were saying, it does seem that 40s in more original condition seem to sell for more then built rock crawlers do. thanks again for the input no hard feelings toward any negetive posting what so ever. if i was worried of the negative feedback i wouldnt have asked the question. thanks guys!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
For what its worth,

My Cousin bought a pristine '71 40 with column shift, OG jump seats and clean hard top for $3650 We're in So cali, not sure if that makes a difference either.

Good luck buddy.

BTW, nice rig.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Off-topic here, but what is MUD? I'm assuming it's another board like Pirate, etc, I've just never heard of it. Sorry to hi-jack, and I agree with what the others are saying about the price of your rig. Also, I'm sure you've thought of this, but a rig is worth less than the sum of its parts. Have you thought about parting it out?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Off-topic here, but what is MUD? I'm assuming it's another board like Pirate, etc, I've just never heard of it. Sorry to hi-jack, and I agree with what the others are saying about the price of your rig. Also, I'm sure you've thought of this, but a rig is worth less than the sum of its parts. Have you thought about parting it out?
ih8mud.com. its a site for mainly cruisers

·
Registered
162 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts