TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
If it has the locker it should be a TRD. Check your coilovers and shocks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
TRD Options

Here's a link to the Toyota website - options for the Tacoma:
http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/options.html

Also here is a list of included equipment/options for the "TRD Off-Road Pkg (OC) -- SR5 Package #2 plus off-road tuned suspension with Bilstein® shocks, 16-in. alloy wheels with P265/70R16 BFGoodrich® Rugged Trail T/A tires, locking rear differential, engine skidplate and fuel tank protector, front tow hook, 115V/400-watt deck mounted power outlet, multi-function overhead console with compass and temperature gauge, sport seats with sport fabric and driver's lumbar support, and TRD Off-Road graphics (V6 models)"

Maybe someone else can confirm, but unless someone happended to remove the TRD badging from your bedsides, you may just be lucky and have the RR diff lock option. I'm a newbie too, so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Chances are someone just removed the stickers, I know a few people who have done that. The locker is the only worhtwhile thing in the TRD package anyways.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
it was probably possible to buy a standard tacoma with the locker option as well, many vehicles do that....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way this is a 03 DC 4WD. The thing that got me wondering was it had the BFg rugged trails on it when i bought it, and i thought those only came on the TRD off road.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
By the way this is a 03 DC 4WD. The thing that got me wondering was it had the BFg rugged trails on it when i bought it, and i thought those only came on the TRD off road.
dealers have lots of those tires on hand.... any tire could be easily mounted on nay vehicle

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
toyota started putting those on alot of trucks after 2002. I've seen lockers on Dcabs with the steel wheels, etc. Look at the rear diff. If the drain plug is on the left side, you should have the rear locker. If the drain plug is on the right it should be an unlocked non TRD rear. The locker has been available on non TRD badged trucks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
toyota started putting those on alot of trucks after 2002. I've seen lockers on Dcabs with the steel wheels, etc. Look at the rear diff. If the drain plug is on the left side, you should have the rear locker. If the drain plug is on the right it should be an unlocked non TRD rear. The locker has been available on non TRD badged trucks.
Just checked....the drain plug is on right side. But does that explain the RR diff lock button? What would the button say if it was a TRD off road. Im getting confused:confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
chrome rear bumper? or colormatched? hoodscoop?

sport is colormatched with a hoodscoop
offroad is no scoop and chrome rear bumper and chrome grill surround

EDIT: nvm your not an 05+, i dont know, pretend i never said anything

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
chrome rear bumper? or colormatched? hoodscoop?

sport is colormatched with a hoodscoop
offroad is no scoop and chrome rear bumper and chrome grill surround
He has an 03, Hood scoop/TRD sport didnt start until 05... and he wouldnt have an elocker with a TRD sport anyhow..

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Just checked....the drain plug is on right side. But does that explain the RR diff lock button? What would the button say if it was a TRD off road. Im getting confused:confused:
Look at the front of the diff housing, if there is a pice that looks like this (minus the shiny black part)

then you have an elocker... and probally a TRD Offroad. I bet a dealer could run your VIN and tell you.

You could also pop the button out and see if its hooked up... did you buy it new or used? And is the window sticker around?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
What happens when you push the button? Does it blink or turn solid or do nothing at all?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
And it never stops blinking?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Put it in 4WD low, engage to rear diff lock and drive forward, when it stops blinking the rear diff is locked. I would also take a look at the pictures on the prior posts to see if you even have the rear diff lock and not just the button.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts