TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the rack in my Tacoma, but I lost the return. What I mean is that once I turn I have to manually return the wheel to center, it has no bounce back. So is there a clock spring or is it maybe my bleeding? I replaced and turned lock to lock with the wheels off the ground checked fluids and such. What did I miss? I had to miss something. I rewatched write ups and videos but can't seem to find my issue. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2001 DDSB Tacoma, 2002 4Runner with bumpers and lift, 2008 Rav4
18 Posts
None of my vehicles in the 60 years I have been driving have any return or centering built in. That includes a 1930 “A" model roadster to a 2015 Ram Promaster (85 years of model years). When driving the tendency is for the steering to return to the center due to the geometry of all 4 wheels. I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, maybe its just me then. It certainly doesn't drive like it use to, but maybe that has more to do with a new rack vs an old rack after 344k on the original one. lol

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Caster setting has an affect on return to center, but I don't think you would have changed it with the rack R&R. Have you got it aligned yet? The new rack shouldn't change the return to center you had before unless it has some resistance that wasn't there before.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I'm waiting to grab a couple new tires before I get it aligned. I'll revisit it after that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I feel like I've read about that here in the threads where people talk about how to remove the steering wheel play in the collapsible portion of the steering column. You might want to try a search with some of those terms. (I tried briefly but didn't find the info I remembered reading)

·
Registered
2001 DDSB Tacoma, 2002 4Runner with bumpers and lift, 2008 Rav4
18 Posts
THAT clock spring does exist BUT it has nothing to do with centering the steering! It is a way for the electrical connections to get from the steering column to the steering wheel. They were first installed for activating the explosive airbag in the center of the steering wheel. Right name wrong application.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,596 Posts
The big cap on the back of the rack is for the rack guide roller which is spring loaded. If that spring is set too tight, the return to center is affected. You can loosen that cap a little bit (loosen first then retighten the lock nut after) to adjust the tension. Probably only need 10-20deg of turn to fix the return to center.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahhh, That helps me out. Thank you ShowStop! You are a wealth of knowledge here and we are greatly appreciative of your contributions!

I figured there had to be something, because the rack itself is new and felt way more tight. it just didn't respond like a new truck/new rack.

I'll check that out after the alignment and tires and report back to this thread.

Thank you all again for the help and advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts