TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 taco 4x4 reg cab. the rear leaf spring is broken, as usual. i picked up a set of 96 leafs and they look different. the 2nd leaf has a wrap around military style, 4 leafs and the ones i got from a fellow ttora member and it has 3 leafs and no wrap around leaf. is there know to be a different spring or can anyone put some insight on what i have.
thanx

·
Registered
787 Posts
They might be from a 2wd. I know the 98 and up have a different length then the 97 and older. I believe that you can actually use the leaves from pretacoma trucks. Why not just use a few of your old leafs or replace the leaf that is broke with one from the other set that you picked up (make a hybrid pack)?

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
taconasty said:
i have a 96 taco 4x4 reg cab. the rear leaf spring is broken, as usual. i picked up a set of 96 leafs and they look different. the 2nd leaf has a wrap around military style, 4 leafs and the ones i got from a fellow ttora member and it has 3 leafs and no wrap around leaf. is there know to be a different spring or can anyone put some insight on what i have.
thanx
Yeah, sounds like a 2WD pack. However, in the early model years, some of the 4WD trucks got 3 leaf packs like the 2wd models. There was a TSB to replace them.

I'd say rebuild your pack with the leaves from the donor pack. You might even be able to upgrade your pack to a 5 leaf.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i thought it might be an older set of springs, i know they came off a 4wd. the older pack has a main leaf broke and my pack has the 2nd "military wrap" leaf is broken. i am planning on trying to make a 5 pack out of them if i can.

·
Registered
514 Posts
taconasty said:
i thought it might be an older set of springs, i know they came off a 4wd. the older pack has a main leaf broke and my pack has the 2nd "military wrap" leaf is broken. i am planning on trying to make a 5 pack out of them if i can.
Whatever you do, Id make sure to swap out the bottom, and by far thickest, which is the load bearing leaf. Its simple as hell to remake a stack, just get some clamps and idealy a vice to steady them and air gun the straps around them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts