TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm thinking towards the future right now. And down the road a few years (or if I come into money) when my Tacoma has miles racked up high on it, I think it would be a great project to swap in a 4.7 V8. From the research I've done, parts would actually come out to less than a $5000 supercharger, and then I'd have more low-end grunt too. The only thing is, I know there was never an available 5 or 6 speed man-trans for the V8. I checked on the Japan and Australia Toyota sites to see if they ever made one elsewhere, and not such luck.

Does anyone know if there's a manufacturer that makes a 5 or 6 speed trans that mated up the the 4.7 V8? I know TRD has them for racing, but getting my hands on one of those, if possible would probably cost the same as buying a whole other truck.

The easy route would of course be to supercharge it, but I love V8s.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Why would you want to swap the 4.0 for the 4.7? The difference wouldnt be worth thinking about the swap.

As for a manual, I saw a RHD imported Sequoia in Florida a few years back that had a manual tranny and Im pretty sure it had the 4.7 in it. It had an "Unleaded Gasoline Only" sticker above the gas cap. So it definately wasnt a diesel.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm with him, it seems like you will be wasting a ton of money and a perfectly good engine if you do this. I would run that 4.0 for at least 250K miles, and you can probably get more than that out of it. If you are still focused on getting more power, just supercharge it or something.
Oh, and if I remember correctly there was a large thread on Pirate4x4 about putting a Lexus V8 into early model toys, so that might worth checking out.
Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts