TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last two times I changed my gear oil in my truck for the manual transmission, I was able to find some off the shelf in various auto parts stores. It seems like nobody sells any pure gl-4 gear oil anymore and they are all all both gl-4 and gl-5 rated.

Is Amsoil or some online order the only way to get a pure GL-4 oil now for the 2.7 manual Trans in my '01?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
The last two times I changed my gear oil in my truck for the manual transmission, I was able to find some off the shelf in various auto parts stores. It seems like nobody sells any pure gl-4 gear oil anymore and they are all all both gl-4 and gl-5 rated.

Is Amsoil or some online order the only way to get a pure GL-4 oil now for the 2.7 manual Trans in my '01?
I think thats about the only one. I have just been using Sta-Lube GL4 Non-syn for a while now. But I may bite the bullet and get the amsoil when I change my clutch soon.

I can buy this all over SoCal
That's GL5 though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think thats about the only one. I have just been using Sta-Lube GL4 Non-syn for a while now. But I may bite the bullet and get the amsoil when I change my clutch soon.
Where can you get that STA-Lube? I don't think I've ever seen it around here in shitty liberal Massachusetts.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts

I've bought both Amsoil and Redline over the counter. But maybe it's a Cali thing.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Where can you get that STA-Lube? I don't think I've ever seen it around here in shitty liberal Massachusetts.
I used to find it at my old dealership in California. Now I get it at napa here in Texas. But, not all Napa's are alike.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used to find it at my old dealership in California. Now I get it at napa here in Texas. But, not all Napa's are alike.
I assume you are using that 85w90 stuff? Any issues cold shifting?

I live in a cold weather climate so 85w90 might be a bit thick for the winter.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I assume you are using that 85w90 stuff? Any issues cold shifting?

I live in a cold weather climate so 85w90 might be a bit thick for the winter.
Shit you may be right about the weight.
Otherwise, no, normal Tacoma semi notchy feeling cold mornings.
It was much worse when running the old mobile 1 or the other junk I used to run.
I always let the trans warm up while I warm up the engine, though. Especially on cold mornings. Trans in first, T-case in neutral. Warms up that oil a decent amount.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shit you may be right about the weight.
Otherwise, no, normal Tacoma semi notchy feeling cold mornings.
It was much worse when running the old mobile 1 or the other junk I used to run.
I always let the trans warm up while I warm up the engine, though. Especially on cold mornings. Trans in first, T-case in neutral. Warms up that oil a decent amount.
Yeah.. no way I'm doing that every day. I feel like that's a lot of unnecessary wear on the transfer case and ADD components since you have to go through 4WD-Hi first to get to neutral. It's not recommended to leave modern engines warming up every day anyways before driving unless your daily commute involves immediate highway speed travel shortly after startup and without at least 2 miles of driving beforehand. I guess I'll just pay the extra cash and put Amsoil GL-4 back in again. I've had the current batch in there forever anyways..... like 6 years and 64K miles and it still shifts great.... prices on Amsoil have skyrocketed since the last time I changed it, but if it lasts this long and works well, who really cares.

Thanks for the info though... I'm not trying to sound unappreciative, it's just not for me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Isn't redline a synthetic gl4?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
It is... I still have 2 unopened quarts of MT90 on the shelf in my car-parts/tools/chemicals room from when I used that back in 2007 or so. That stuff didn't work out too well though. It was OK at first but then my shifting became very notchy after about 6K miles. I'd heard reports of people saying it shears and becomes thin quickly and I remember having that happen to me, but this was literally 10 full years ago. I distinctly remember there being a very noticeable difference in the mannerisms of my gearbox when switching from MT90 to Amsoil.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It is... I still have 2 unopened quarts of MT90 on the shelf in my car-parts/tools/chemicals room from when I used that back in 2007 or so. That stuff didn't work out too well though. It was OK at first but then my shifting became very notchy after about 6K miles. I'd heard reports of people saying it shears and becomes thin quickly and I remember having that happen to me, but this was literally 10 full years ago. I distinctly remember there being a very noticeable difference in the mannerisms of my gearbox when switching from MT90 to Amsoil.
My location no more MT90 or Amsoil. But get Royal Purple SAE 75w-90, can get it cheaper from Amazon with free shipping around $12.00 a quart.:D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have 2 quarts each of MT90 and Amsoil 75w90 Manual Trans fluid GL4, so I think I'll go straight MT90 in the transfer case and a mix of 2 quarts Amsoil and the rest redline MT90 in the tranny.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 2 quarts each of MT90 and Amsoil 75w90 Manual Trans fluid GL4, so I think I'll go straight MT90 in the transfer case and a mix of 2 quarts Amsoil and the rest redline MT90 in the tranny.
So why did you ask about other products if you have these? If you're not satisfied with them, go buy something else

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't know I had more than a quart or 2 out there. The stuff I have is like 6 or 7 years old but sealed... should be fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I mixed 2 quarts of Amsoil Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 GL-4 with 1 Quart of Redline MT-90 and filled the Tranny with that mixture about 3 weeks ago with about 2.8 quarts (slight overfill as always). My W59 shifts noticeably better than it ever has before with this setup and almost definitely the smoothest I've ever felt it shift. This is the 4th different gear oil change that I've done on the truck over the past 100K miles so I have a decent base to compare against.

Original batch = Whatever was in the truck from the factory??? Shifted OK.
2nd batch @ 59K Miles = 100% Redline MT-90, shifted pretty nice for about 8-10 months then went to absolute crap so I swapped it out really early
3rd batch @ 66K Miles = 100% Castrol Gear Oil 75W90.... I don't remember the details of the type(Conventional vs Synthetic GL-4 vs GL-5), shifted OK for a few years
4th Batch @ 97K= Pure Amsoil Manual Transmission Gear Oil 75W90 GL-4, Shifted decent for many years but started to noticeably degrade in the past year
5th Batch @ 148K = 2/3 Amsoil Manual Trans Gear Oil 75W90 GL-4 and 1/3 Redline MT90, Shifts like absolute butter so far but has only been in there for a few weeks so we'll have to wait and see if it degrades over time like the pure Redline MT-90 batch did many years ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts