TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to the fabrication scene, I have been welding for several years, with mig and flux (but only on little stuff, no real fabrication), but am looking to get a decent plasma cutter to learn with, but am on a very limited budget. I have been using oxy-acetaline to cut, but want to be able to mkae some more precise cuts. Anyway, I was looking on ebay and wondered if this cutter is worth the price, they seem to be going for about 300-350 at auction close. Is it worth it, to practice with, or should I jsut save my nickel and dimes until I can afford a better one? I wont be using it for anything other than frame on our yotas, and some bumper fab type stuff in my spare time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=110125981547&rd=1&rd=1

here is the item number of one of them in case the link doesnt work

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I am new to the fabrication scene, I have been welding for several years, with mig and flux (but only on little stuff, no real fabrication), but am looking to get a decent plasma cutter to learn with, but am on a very limited budget. I have been using oxy-acetaline to cut, but want to be able to mkae some more precise cuts. Anyway, I was looking on ebay and wondered if this cutter is worth the price, they seem to be going for about 300-350 at auction close. Is it worth it, to practice with, or should I jsut save my nickel and dimes until I can afford a better one? I wont be using it for anything other than frame on our yotas, and some bumper fab type stuff in my spare time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=110125981547&rd=1&rd=1

here is the item number of one of them in case the link doesnt work
i would save some $$ till you can afford a better one..
that looks like some kind of harbor freight chinese junk
go for something name brand so if it breaks you can find parts to fix it..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would save some $$ till you can afford a better one..
that looks like some kind of harbor freight chinese junk
go for something name brand so if it breaks you can find parts to fix it..
yeah thats what I figured, but I had hoped someone would say they are at least ok. What made me think twice about it was I went to harbor freight today to look at theirs, and it they wanted like 999.99 for theirs, and I could buy a miller that would do what I need, at least I think, for only a little more. well, I guess I will probly break out the piggy bank and start putting my :2cents: in it. now I only have about 55 years of saving to do, lol. thanks for the quick reply

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
x2 Law. Save your duckets for a good one. My .002

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, so I think it is probly a peice a junk. I will just save some money, thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
one thing to think about is the consumables, what good is the machine if the consumables are gone and it wont work and you cant go to any welding supply store to buy a new one's. I go through a good bit of them and at 5-7 bucks each which isnt cheap if you use it a lot. I have a dryer on the air compresser, 2 water seperaters in line and one on the back of the plasma. The air can never be to dry. I prefer hyperthem since that is the only thing they make. I had a hyperthem 380 and it was decent but not grea (i want to be able to cut 1/4-3/8 stuff as fast as i can pull it. The 1250 i have now just plain rocks and saves on the power bill since i can run it off 3 phase, but its a 2700.00 machine. The hypertherm 380 can be had for a grand or so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah that does make sense, I dont really know about the consumable stuff, I am leaning toward saving my money and looking around craigslist maybe, and try to find a better one. thanks for the input, I really appreciate it guys

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Oh sorry 'bout that... I misunderstood

That was some time back... You know if that price is still currently offered ?.. When did you get yours ?

I guess I'll call Tuesday...

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
they look like the exact same machine...just different labels.

good reviews from the Pirate gang.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts