TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well guys, I have decide to SAS my 88 yota. the independent crap is just falling apart. I have a 83 yota with a broken frame, but good axles. Do you guys think it is worth the time to swap the suspension from the older truck to the '88? and if so, what all will I need to do it? can I just cut the entire front drivetrain off the old truck and move itto the new one? any info opr advice you can give me is greatly appreciated

I am running 4.88's in all the axles, and have 35 12.50 tires with 12" of lift and factory engine.

lastly, should I just wait until I get the money for a d44, or bigger axle, or just beef up the factory '83?

sorry for the disorganized post, I just have all these thoughts going through my head all at once...

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
If the 83 is crap but with a good drivetrain, then recyling it is definitely worth it.

treat this project like any other SAS project and go to town doing your research and parts collecting.

You are ahead of the game though, you have the axles and the steering which many have to purchase.

I would be getting to work on the project if I was you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bear said:
If the 83 is crap but with a good drivetrain, then recyling it is definitely worth it.

treat this project like any other SAS project and go to town doing your research and parts collecting.

You are ahead of the game though, you have the axles and the steering which many have to purchase.

I would be getting to work on the project if I was you.
thats what I am kinda thinking, I am trying to get all the info I can before I jump into it. this will be my first sas, so I am learning all I can about it. do you think the yota axles with good shafts will be strong enough? I am only going to run 35's, so from what I have seen so far, I think they would do just fine

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
research, research, and search! I am not being rude here, it is just the best advice I can give you.

In regards to your toy axles, they will hold up. depending on who you talk to, they are as strong or stronger than Dana 44's. I can't comment on that though as I run a d44 on my tacoma.

Bobby long has some good aftermarket parts, look into his stuff. If you stay at 35's you should be fine. Also look into companies such as All Pro, Trail gear, Marlin FROR and other sponsors we have here. Those places is where you are going to find all your brackets you will need etc. unless you wish to build your own stuff, either way it is doable!

On your WMS you should be okay going from the 83 axles to the 88 body. But you will want to double check me on that one. You might still need wheel spacers but I doubt it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
there are tons of people running 38" tires with longfield shafts in a toyota axle and they dont have an issue so if u want to upgrade shafts to longfields u wont have a problem with 35s

·
Registered
490 Posts
tacoma87 said:
there are tons of people running 38" tires with longfield shafts in a toyota axle and they dont have an issue so if u want to upgrade shafts to longfields u wont have a problem with 35s
x2...dont waste the money on a 44...the 30 spline longs will be stronger than a 44.add a truss to the 83 front,swap the 3rd members in the rear(IFS rear is wider).you can get a front hanger kit for 150.00 if you dont feel like cutting up your 83(since you would be doing alot of cutting and grinding on the IFS).
swap over the rotors and calipers also.need spacers for the front also

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweet, thats what I was hoping to hear. where would be the best place to get longfields. I saw some yukon (I think) chromoly shafts on allpro's website, but am not very familiar with longfields.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
from what I hear, you want longfields over any other type of shafts! As I referenced earlier, get ahold of Bobby Long…he is the one with the longfields!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Longfields can be found here w/ free shipping:
www.toyotasuperaxles.com

Longfield 30 splines are the strongest toy axle shafts and birfs available. There are many people running them with 38"+ tires and I'm one of them.

I would come on the height since you will overally tall w/ 12" of lift. You already have 83 rear springs so that you can run rears up front. So that is one less thing you will need. Hit up the TN board as there are more people willing to help you locally.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ATLRoach said:
Longfields can be found here w/ free shipping:
www.toyotasuperaxles.com

Longfield 30 splines are the strongest toy axle shafts and birfs available. There are many people running them with 38"+ tires and I'm one of them.

I would come on the height since you will overally tall w/ 12" of lift. You already have 83 rear springs so that you can run rears up front. So that is one less thing you will need. Hit up the TN board as there are more people willing to help you locally.
cool thanks. yeah once I get the fine details about how it is all going to go together I am going to try and bring it back down some to help with stability.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Hey sounds like you got a good build in the works. I am currently building up my 83 and going to try and run 36's shout me a pm with your number and you can came by and look at mine and I got some good local places where you can get parts and spare parts. We can hook you up and get you a good trail rig and take you on some good trail runs. www.tnttora.com On the TN chapter we are actually running out if ifs trucks almost everybody is doing and sas or more.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The other thing you can do to make the front as wide as the rear is to put the hubs off your IFS onto it. Take everything including the brakes. I believe you will need new rotors from an 80's landcruiser, but this will give you a bit wider front end without having to get wheel spacers.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Don't forget to ditch the 83's steering and switch it over the a high steer type. Since the box is already mounted on the IFS frame that will save you a bit of time, plus its better then the older push/pull steering.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Rattlecanpaint said:
The other thing you can do to make the front as wide as the rear is to put the hubs off your IFS onto it. Take everything including the brakes. I believe you will need new rotors from an 80's landcruiser, but this will give you a bit wider front end without having to get wheel spacers.
It's more complicated than that. $300 Sky spacer kit you can push it out 1.5" total and keep your calipers same way. The other way you have to work out something to bolt the calipers outside the knuckle tabs as opposed to inside- I forget what all is involved, but I wouldn't recommend it for a DD.

·
Registered
754 Posts
my buddy just did an SAS on his 91, and it actually rides better than my 86 with ifs. I couldn't belive the difference.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Toyasaurus said:
Don't forget to ditch the 83's steering and switch it over the a high steer type. Since the box is already mounted on the IFS frame that will save you a bit of time, plus its better then the older push/pull steering.
yeah I want a hi steer system, but I gotta wait on the funds. I will probaly try to wait to tear the '88 down until I can get the stuff for it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Toyasaurus said:
yeah that is one of the reasons I want to sas. I love wheeling and want the extra sreliability, and hope to ragain some on road characteristics. I dont drive the truck daily or anything, but it is a real pain to drive it to homedepot etc. with the lift and tires and all.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
A SAS will give up some streetabilty and comfort but that's not really why we're here now is it. It will be the second best mod you ever do....Right behind lockers. :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Symon623 said:
A SAS will give up some streetabilty and comfort but that's not really why we're here now is it. It will be the second best mod you ever do....Right behind lockers. :D
yeah, it's all about the trails, but I like to be able to drive it to the trail, and to lowes on occasion... lol. and ifs sux with this much lift, ride sux, handling sux worse than it should, and it has even less flex than it did factory..... yeah it will be the best mod by far, cuzx the lockers are going to go in at the same time, so I will be getting sas, and locked all at once.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
csharp17 said:
yeah, it's all about the trails, but I like to be able to drive it to the trail, and to lowes on occasion... lol. and ifs sux with this much lift, ride sux, handling sux worse than it should, and it has even less flex than it did factory..... yeah it will be the best mod by far, cuzx the lockers are going to go in at the same time, so I will be getting sas, and locked all at once.
Good move......When your done, you'll wonder why you waited so long. And BTW Dodge and Ford are still using SA's in the front of their HD trucks that peeps drive every day. And all the good ole 4x4's had SA's. Git-r-dun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts