TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I would say that if you have never used a torque wrench then it would be mandatory to have one.
It should be regardless- but you can slide a bit if you have ever used one enough to know roughly where you are at on the not tight enough-fixing to fuck something up scale.
I don't own one, I'm fairly certain I have a good idea of GENERALLY how tight stuff is with respect to the length of wrench I'm using- but it is something high on my priority list of things to get.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Funny, I have one in my stash of tools, but I never use it...

In the end, it's best to use it because of inherent risks, but you can get away without it if you're careful (or have dumb luck on your side).

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I think it is good to have one. There have been multiple times where I have figured I was tight enough where I was WAY too tight, and there have also been times that I have figured it was perfect and it still needed to be cranked down. I use mine frequently, although not on spark plugs or diff plugs. Those just get a feel test. :D

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Intrepid said:
I think it is good to have one. There have been multiple times where I have figured I was tight enough where I was WAY too tight,
Same here. When I first got mine, the first thing I noticed is that I was often cranking things way too tight, especially fluid plugs. Now that I have mine, I use it all the time.

I guess the short answer is that it's not necessary until you screw something up because you over or undertightened.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Never used a torque wrench for any of the things you mentioned. If I was to use it on one though, it would be the spark plugs. That's one thing you definitely don't want to overtighten.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
It's nice for lug nuts. Keeps you from breaking studs.
I find it a necessity for a lot of engine work I do, more so on my dirt bike though, but anything that screws into an expensive chunk of aluminium should probably be torqued with a torque wrench.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts