TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So yesterday i was trying to install the new speedo gear in my truck.

The truck came with a 28 teeth gear, 3.58 gears, 225 tires, 5spd tranny with the four ponnies under the hood. Now i have 32" tires with 4.56 gears, and the speedo was like 21 miles off.

I decided to buy the largest speedo gear they offer as suggested in an old write up about this.

So i bought this part:

Then proceded to remove the plug and mounting part to swap speedo gears as suggested in the write up:

[

Then i removed the little C-Clip, and swapped gears. Unfortunately, the new gear wouldn't go all the way in the transfer case.:mad: I tried every single way of but nothing worked. I then put the old speedo gear back to make sure i had installed it correctly and the old one fit perfectly.

Then i called a couple of TTORA members from my area and nobody seemed to experience this fitment issue when they swapped theirs.

Then i decided to measure the gears to see if there was any difference. Old one to the left (28 teeth). New one to the right (33 teeth);

As you can see the width is the same. Now, the one with 33 teeth is slighty larger in diameter. I concluded this might be the reason i had issues:

Then i took a closer look inside the transfer case just to make sure everything was clear:

So, am I missing something here?

Did i buy the wrong part number?

Please help.

-Ben

·
Registered
464 Posts
quite a while back I did a speedo gear swap on my 95.5 2.7 xcab taco. It had the 28tooth gear stock and I went to a 33 tooth gear. I had to use the shaft for the 28tooth gear with the new 33tooth gear, I am not sure if this would be the case with your setup.

However regarding the 33tooth gear being a larger diameter I also had troubles getting it in. I ended up having to slightly tap it in with a little force as it seemed like it just didnt want to go in but eventually it did. Once I got the bolts back in I still didnt think it was going to work right but the gears ended up meshing properly because my speedo seems to be working just fine.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's interesting.

i thought about using a rubber mallet, but besides the fact that it didn't fit there, i was afraid of getting the new speedo gear then stuck in the transfer case.

but you said it worked out for you....mmmmm

thanks for responding.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Well, now it makes sense why the gear is larger. As you add more threads to the gear, the gear has to get larger in diameter. They can't change the pitch of the threads because those have to match what's on the t-case. This would be the reason for the tight fitment. I would go with what brendog said and see if that works.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it wouldn't hurt to "tap" it with a little more force the second time around. Man, since the speedo is made out of plastic, I'm afraid it might damage the teeth in the gear.

the other option would be to get a speedo gear with less teeth, but again, that wouldn't help too much since my speedo would be off still.

Also, don't have money to keep trying every single speedo gear available:D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Dr. Dick, can't believe you don't have a word in this one:D

i'll shoot him a PM.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I've never had to swap speedo gears because I corrected the diff ratio for the tires instead. That's how to do it the right way and I only know the right ways. LOL

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You must have made a mistake along the way.....:D

I thought i did the right gear-tire swap. Well, it wasn't 'til yesterday that i found out my speedo gear only had 28 teeth from factory.

No matter what gear-tire combo I'll get, my speedo was gonna be far regardless.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, i just finished reading a bunch of old posts about this. Seems to me this is an odd thing. Now, i never even tried to remove the new gear from its rod to the old rod. I don't even know if that's possible at all.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Mine was hell to get in as well. Had to give it a few love taps and all was well..

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine was hell to get in as well. Had to give it a few love taps and all was well..
problem is that there's no room in there for nothing. how did you manage to tap it with....love?:D

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Just force it in, man.
I went from a 28T to a 33T as well and it felt like i was stripping the gear when I put it in, but all was well. Good luck - just shove it in there!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just force it in, man.
I went from a 28T to a 33T as well and it felt like i was stripping the gear when I put it in, but all was well. Good luck - just shove it in there!
i hear you, well, i guess the consensus is to apply some torque.

i hope I'll never have to remove that thing for nothing 'cause I'm sure it won't come out once i force it in. let's see...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Good luck - just shove it in there!"
It seems I've heard that somewhere before.
yep, usually before something gets broken or screwed up:D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
maybe back when your post count was in the hundreds LOL!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
was that before or after they invented full injectors?:D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.