TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 89 22re in 79 pick up.
Here they are the issues
-lossing about quart and a half of oil every 2 weeks no leaks.
-idling rough as can be
-check engine light isn't coming on
-when I pulled a spark plug was normal all cylinders
-alot of sut in tail pipe

I have no idea what it could be, I talked to my buddy that is a tech and he said it could be the intake valves letting oil in and it's burning it.
Tell me what you think I just drove it home and it's was almost dieing on me.
Any idea thanks. So I'm probably looking for a new head or a shop to get it done. Any suggestions would be great.

Cory

·
20,355 Posts
The oil has to be going somewhere. If it is not leaking(remember to check the back by the tranny as a rear main seal will leak into the bell hoursing. Then there are only 2 other places for it to go. 1-into the cylinders where it is being burned. To go through that much oil it will show on the plugs though, and it should be smoking alot. 2- it could be leaking into the water jacket. check the coolant for oil. This is most likely what is happening on this motor, as they like to blow head gaskets.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
do a leak down. It is possible the HG is about to go and is leaking into the cyl. OR the valve guide seals are dry and cracked and gone. If that's the case you would have a big puff of white smoke on startup. you are def. burning oil if you are loosing oil and no spots on the driveway, with performance.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys no spot on the driveway but a little stream of oil on the tranny, but not that much to make it lose a quart and a half. The oil is turning dark very quickly. No oil in coolant and no coolant in oil. When I did a compression test on it the cylinders were--
one 100
two 153
three 162
four 158
But when i called the dealership they said it should be about 171. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I'm going off of what my repair manual is telling me and past experinces.
When I told my buddy that he suggest that I just get the head done and try that first. Then he suggest that I add a little oil to the cylinder and try that and it will tell me if it's my rings or valves. What I don't get is that when I talked to Gun automotive to do the machining on the motor they said I should get the block done at the sametime, not just doing the head and that if I wanted to put a cam for preformance I should rebuild it so it doesn't blow. To me that isn't worth it. If i'm going to do that much work for the four banger I was thinking of doing a vortec V-6 swap becasue my buddy has a blazer with one in it. I now that is a no no in the toyota world but money is tight and I need something I can drive to work and the trail and haul all of the kids and gear. I'm not to happy about the engine performance of the 4 banger. Well I'm about to go to the garage and check it out.

·
20,355 Posts
recheck cylinder one. With that big of a difference that is likely where the problem lies as long as test is being done right. The other cylinders are lower than optimal, but high enough that you will be able to get life out of the enginge. You will be fine just doing the head/cam work without blowing the bottom end unless there is already a problem down there. It looks to me like you have a bad valve on the #1 cylinder though.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I have a rebuilt motor (done at Gun) and my compression was in the 150-160 range. So that is about norm or as close to it. the cyl # 1 is way low. there might be a broken ring or something causing the low compression. if the oil is getting dark fast it's probably from carbon blowing past what ever is leaking. Good luck man I know all about engine probs. ha ha ha.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep that is correct either way it's toasted!!!! Just going to let it seat for a while till I figure something out. I want a four runner with a 22re and a manual in it. Thats what I'm looking for. Hopine it would run adless. Then I will be getting rid of my 79 pick up. Blows but I have two little ones to worry about now. Thanks for the info. If you guys know of anyone with a four runner to my description let me know.

·
20,355 Posts
If it is only a head issue which is what it commonly is on these motors it should not be that expensive to get fixed.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I've got it down to 3 hours. and 30 bucks plus oil.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it's been a week and I hate not driving my yoter. It still runs barely and I know I shouldn't be driving it but screw it. I ran to the day care down the street to pick up the kids, they love it. They named her betty boop. I laugh everytime. I think I'm getting somewhere on what I want. For sure a fourrunner with a 4 cyclered in it. But know I'm thinking what about the v-6 3.0 is that junk or not bad? I have been looking on craigslist and there is alot of 3.0 for pretty cheap or should I stick with the 4 popper? But then I was thinking about going with only 35's inch tires instead of 37's I have, to save gas and not have to change the gears out. I don't think it's low enough with dual cases and 4:88's, that's why I was thinking v-6 or if i go with another 22re go 35's. I'm so far from getting back on track it's killing me. I have no clue where to go from here. What do you dudes think?

·
20,355 Posts
3.0 is not a bad engine per se, but it doesnt make that much power, and the suck gas.

They also have some headgasket issues, but if the vehicle was maintained that should be taken care of. I would go 22r for simplicity and reliability, but if a good deal on a 3.0 came up i would not disqualifiy it due to the motor.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
if you are running 4.88's you should be running 33's. that's way to much tire for your motor.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I would say it depends on what generation 4Runner. For a 1st gen (84-89), you could go either way, but the 2nd gens (90-95) are too damn heavy for the 4cylinder.

ike nailed it on the 3.0 ... there are TONS of them out there with 200k, 300k miles. It's a significant power increase over a 22RE, but yes, the mileage sucks and EVERYTHING is a PITA to work on with them.

Depending what your funds are like, I would suggest buying a truck with a blown 3.0 and swapping in a 3.4 - it's as bolt in as an engine swap can be and you get SIGNIFICANT advantages in power, fuel mileage, maintenance, and aftermarket support. I would figure $1500-2000 for the swap, so you'll need to get a pretty good deal on the truck.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys just thought would give a update on the motor sitution. I bought a header for it yesterday off of craigslist. It's a pacesetter and I only paid 100 bucks for it brand new. SO I'm going to get rebuilding it as soon as I can finish my other project which is another DD. Were down to one car again. So I'm thinking about two weeks to a month depending on how finals go. Then it's on. When I'm doing the rebuild I'm going to put in a 5 speed tranny while I'm at it and extend the cab with another one. Starting over on the bed and probably going to do a exo cage over the bed and alittle over the cab. Well I will keep you guys posted I really can't wait to get it done and go wheeling.
Later Taco

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is going to be a stupid question but I want to make sure we are on the same page red runner. On the block side or the exhaust side. because it sounds like to me your talking about the exhaust side. If so I will probably just weld it all together. We will see. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts