TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i got really really bored today so i decided to switch my leaf springs out. the problem is that the 01 ext cab has leafs that aren't centered on the axle, and i didn't realize it til i was pretty far into it. the springs i'm putting on are off of mikes truck (i don't remeber the year but it's a newer one), and the mount up centered on the axle. i had to cut off one of the bolts on my springs and it's jammed into my bushing, so now i have to use the new springs. and after looking at it, i'm goingto have to make some mods to where the springs actually mount to my frame. i started tonight, but i'm at a stopping point til tomorow cause i need a new grinding wheel. i will take some pics tomorow and get them on here, but as for now, i've got to do this, mod some supports for my sliders/steps, and fix my front suspension to even up the rake. i think i ended up getting myself a bit to much into this one, but oh well, i've got nothing but time.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Lol I know how that feels, to suddenly be a tad bit in over your head. You'll get it. Good luck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've got one side of the rear done now, and i'm gonna get the mounts done for the other side, but i don't want to drop the gas tank to weld there, it's not plastic, do you guys think i should drop it first, it just got filled yesturday morning.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Do you have a nice thick piece of sheet metal that you can shield it with?

Welding next to the tank makes me nervious, but its fumes that explode, so if its full you should be ok, i would shield it no matter what though.

Disclaimer: if it blows up i didnt give any advise :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disclaimer: if it blows up i didnt give any advise :)
understood, i've got something to cover it with, plus i'll open the cap so no pressure can build up

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Please stay as a grumpy old limping man, not a grumpy old crispy fried man ok?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got it, i'm off, so if i don't post anything new before 6am, you can all come visit me at Skyridge medical center (it's almost right next door). wish me luck

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Oh that's where you are located? I hate that hospital. My sister was in Agony after her back surgery last December and they sucked in terms of care.... So for the love of pete don't do anything that will make you end up there!

·
Registered
448 Posts
SECOND! If it's not too late, for the love of god leave the cap on!

Welder heats the gas, vents out the open cap, vapors are heavier than air, pool near your work area, BOOM. Seriously. Leave it on.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i did it all just fine. i did leave the cap on while welding, i vented it about ten min before and then i vented it afterwards. i know that the vapor is the problem. but thanks for caring.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heres a few pics

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how do i post pics but not as a thumbnail?

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Obviously its tough to tell from the pics, so just asking, not trying to trash on you, but it looks like there is some gap in a few places, that would make me nervous.

But, like I said, hard to tell from pictures

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
on my own truck i could care less what my welds looklike, all i know is that i garentee they will hold up to anything you can throw at them. there might be a couple of gaps, but i cranked it up a bit and used 7014 sticks so i'm pretty confident in them. also i test everything i do on my truck with our machinery here and if need be i can always fix it before the truck ever leaves they property

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Nice. Didn't know you had testing facilities.

As long as it is a good weld, no worries. As I said, pretty tough to tell from the pictures.

Hope you like the lift.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
how do i post pics but not as a thumbnail?
You have to host the pic some place like shutterfly.com or photobucket (both free) and then you insert the image address between the image tags.

Like this:

Does that help?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I think flickr is free or you could just email them to me and I can serv them up for you. You know I do have a web server.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice. Didn't know you had testing facilities.

As long as it is a good weld, no worries. As I said, pretty tough to tell from the pictures.

Hope you like the lift.
i got some stuff to play on. i also usually just use one of our loaders and pick it up, drop it a foot or two, really just beat it around a bit and make sure it all holds together.

You have to host the pic some place like shutterfly.com or photobucket (both free) and then you insert the image address between the image tags.

Like this:

Does that help?
thanks i'll try it now

I think flickr is free or you could just email them to me and I can serv them up for you. You know I do have a web server.
i might send 'em to you, but i do need to know how to do it on my own at some point, so i'll try again, if it doesn't work, i'll let you know

thanks everyone

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok heres some pics

here's the right side copleted

here's how i did the rear hanger and shackle

here's the front hanger

and for those of you i know are dying to see how close i got to the tank

and yes, i did fix these welds, it just took some time cause i didn't want to get too much heat that close to the gas tank

now i need to get some longer shocks on the rear, and then do the front, my truck now has a five inch rake to it. oh well, it'll have to wait a bit, erins kind of mad i spent so much time doing this. :mad: wait til she sees it. :eek: i'll get a pic of the truck on here tommarow. the wheel wells in the rear now sit at 44 1/2 inch and the front is at 39

1 - 20 of 24 Posts