TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I used to post here a few years back and still own my 96 Tacoma 4x4 V6 & 5 speed. It has 140k on it now but until recently has had not one problem. I live in Colorado and last week it dipped to 13 below and my wife couldn't start the truck for work (she uses it when the snow gets bad and it's bad). I asked a neighbor for a boost but he said his vehicle was new so was he was afraid to jump me but would tow/jump start me. Long story short during the process I heard some noise from the engine and when it did start it ran but was off. It makes a popping noise when you give it gas now and vibrates at idle. The truck is still running but seems down a cylinder. I figure its a exhaust valve or fuel injector.?..?... I love this truck and I want to repair the damage. Does anyone have any idea what rebuilding the head might cost these days? Also any recommended repair spots in Colorado (Denver area) would help me a bunch. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Subway (Rob)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sounds like you (your wife more likely) fuel fouled a spark plug or two. Put in a new set, tell your wife not to touch the gas pedal when she is starting it, and I would be willing to bet it works. My wife AND my neighbors wife have done this exact same thing during the winter. Fuel injection doesnt need a "pat" of the gas pedal like back in the day...

~James

·
Registered
770 Posts
I second the fouled plugs, I used to work at a dealer and this would heppen all the time, even to brand new cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He claimed it would hurt his altenator. I've heard that before but I don't know if your really can damage it by jumping someone. I will definitely try the plug swap. Would that explain the popping sound? Thanks!!!!!!

Subway

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
DentedTacoma said:
Am I missing something. Why would he not want to give you a jump if he had a new car, why does that matter?
Newer cars with all the electronics are more sensitive to voltage fluxuations and surges. You get both when you jump start a car. By doing so, it is possible to fry the diodes in the alternator or other components.

·
Registered
305 Posts
subway said:
I will definitely try the plug swap. Would that explain the popping sound? Thanks!!!!!!

Subway

It would pop, spit and run very rough if it had a partially or completely fouled plug or two. Its hard to say for sure thats what it is, but I would put some money on it. Plus its easy to change and check.

We used to run into this all the time with motorcycles engines. FI or carbureted. especially if its: cold or has been sitting for a while (older fuel). These motors are no different than a modern motorcycle engine....(or vice versa..)
~James

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's Fixed~!!!!!!

Thank you all so very much. I replaced the plugs and the wires and my truck is back!!!!! I love the dam thing and I thought I was looking a very expensive repair but that's to all of you I'm good to go!!!! My whole hearted thanks!!!!

Subway (Rob)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
stumptaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing