TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, back in May when I had my trans replaced, I had my rearmain seal done and my oilpan seal done as well. Well, my oil pan is leaking WORSE than it already had been. I've done nothing but everyday regular driving ever sense. However, the major problem is, the gentleman responsible for having my truck fixed is 1 of my dads friends, and I'm not real sure what I should do. Should I take it back to them, ask for it to be "taken care of", or go to another shop? I just happened to be looking outside at my truck cause I'm tryin to figure out where I wanna mount some fog lights and I noticed this profuse wetness on the oilpan. I touched it and it was clearly soaked. So, what should I do? Cause money is kinda tight now that Christmas just passed and all of my extra money was spent on presents. Opinions please! Thanx, Wes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
wslytoy said:
Ok, back in May when I had my trans replaced, I had my rearmain seal done and my oilpan seal done as well. Well, my oil pan is leaking WORSE than it already had been. I've done nothing but everyday regular driving ever sense. However, the major problem is, the gentleman responsible for having my truck fixed is 1 of my dads friends, and I'm not real sure what I should do. Should I take it back to them, ask for it to be "taken care of"
Does he guarantee his work? Or was this work done as a favor to you at less than retail... If you paid full retail I would ask for it to be fixed since he clearly did not install one of the seals or gaskets correctly... But if he already cut you a major break on the labor based on your dad's friendship, you can't really ask him to do it again for free. jmo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oilpan

flatlandtacoma said:
Does he guarantee his work? Or was this work done as a favor to you at less than retail... If you paid full retail I would ask for it to be fixed since he clearly did not install one of the seals or gaskets correctly... But if he already cut you a major break on the labor based on your dad's friendship, you can't really ask him to do it again for free. jmo.

yeah, he did it at a discount, so I feel kinda bad even sayin anything AT ALL. Let alone asking for it to be done for free. I'm just gonna see what he says and if I feel its unfair, then I guess I'll saying, I just don't know what, lol. Thanx, Wes
 

·
Deal Master
Joined
·
2,775 Posts
wslytoy said:
yeah, he did it at a discount, so I feel kinda bad even sayin anything AT ALL. Let alone asking for it to be done for free. I'm just gonna see what he says and if I feel its unfair, then I guess I'll saying, I just don't know what, lol. Thanx, Wes
Just go back to the same shop and simply explain the situation- and confirm if they offer a warrranty and ask them how much they will charge to fix the oil pan seal- Mention to them that you that they replaced it back whenever-

If you don't like their price or response or doubt their workmanship then by all means take it elsewhere- but I would atleast give them a chance to remedy the situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
wslytoy said:
Ok, back in May when I had my trans replaced, I had my rearmain seal done and my oilpan seal done as well. Well, my oil pan is leaking WORSE than it already had been. I've done nothing but everyday regular driving ever sense. However, the major problem is, the gentleman responsible for having my truck fixed is 1 of my dads friends, and I'm not real sure what I should do. Should I take it back to them, ask for it to be "taken care of", or go to another shop? I just happened to be looking outside at my truck cause I'm tryin to figure out where I wanna mount some fog lights and I noticed this profuse wetness on the oilpan. I touched it and it was clearly soaked. So, what should I do? Cause money is kinda tight now that Christmas just passed and all of my extra money was spent on presents. Opinions please! Thanx, Wes
Are you sure it is leaking? Check the dipstick first. Maybe all that oil if from an oil change, or when they did the orgininal work.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oilpan

DakotaTacoma said:
Are you sure it is leaking? Check the dipstick first. Maybe all that oil if from an oil change, or when they did the orgininal work.....

well about a month after they did the work, I checked just to be SURE it was good and sealed. well the oilpan still looked wet, but you could tell the oil was old b/c it was kinda crusty lookin. I cleaned the pan off pretty well. When I looked at it lastnight, you could tell the oil wasn't that old. I'm gonna clean it off again and check my oil level, I'm pretty sure it's leaking at the front though. Plus, the bolts hold the pan look really wet around the washers like it's seaping out there. So, we'll see what happens. Peace, Wes
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,538 Posts
wslytoy said:
Ok, back in May when I had my trans replaced, I had my rearmain seal done and my oilpan seal done as well. Well, my oil pan is leaking WORSE than it already had been. I've done nothing but everyday regular driving ever sense. However, the major problem is, the gentleman responsible for having my truck fixed is 1 of my dads friends, and I'm not real sure what I should do. Should I take it back to them, ask for it to be "taken care of", or go to another shop? I just happened to be looking outside at my truck cause I'm tryin to figure out where I wanna mount some fog lights and I noticed this profuse wetness on the oilpan. I touched it and it was clearly soaked. So, what should I do? Cause money is kinda tight now that Christmas just passed and all of my extra money was spent on presents. Opinions please! Thanx, Wes
at least talk to him and make him aware of whats happening. Let him respond after you say the tranny appears to be leaking. See if he has any thing to offer. If not, you could consider making one you think is fair.
If he's your dads friend and decent person then I'm sure you cna work something out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oilpan

grumpy said:
at least talk to him and make him aware of whats happening. Let him respond after you say the tranny appears to be leaking. See if he has any thing to offer. If not, you could consider making one you think is fair.
If he's your dads friend and decent person then I'm sure you cna work something out.

well, it's the oilpan, not the trans, thank GOD, I've had enough problems w/ that, lol!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
it could deff be somethin quick and easy like puttin silicone on both side of the gasket and it will spit... sillicone is bad for small air bubble holes you could drain and drop it yourself clean it all up and get a new gasket or a sheet of gasket maker which is pretty good actually get some 3M brand in the black and lightly apply to the pan after that put your knew gasket on and lightly tap around the gasket with your finger while it drys its great stuff i use it alot when at work and i am puttin them on cats and detroits and its always leak free...there are a number of thing that can cause leaks..ex puttin gasket on oil pan and sliping bolts through pan holes to weight gasket down thats a big problem but you can fix it yourself cheap if money is tight for about thirty bucks:cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,173 Posts
before posting, it is a good idea to check the date of the thread/post you are replying to in the upper left corner of said post.

If you notice you replied to a thread that is almost 4 years old. I am pretty sure the O.P has gotten the problem solved by now.

But good to see you are jumping in immediately trying to help.

By the way welcome to the boards!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
before posting, it is a good idea to check the date of the thread/post you are replying to in the upper left corner of said post.

If you notice you replied to a thread that is almost 4 years old. I am pretty sure the O.P has gotten the problem solved by now.

But good to see you are jumping in immediately trying to help.

By the way welcome to the boards!




:clap:

Well said!

x2 on the welcome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
A thoughtful reply sometimes takes a little longer... :rolleyes:

Welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,739 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Would be nice if some people actually closed their thread with thread with a FIX!!!:eek:
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top