TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been planning for awhile now to regear my Tacoma to 4.88's and adding a locker to make up for my larger than stock tires and blah blah blah. So after looking around different sites and through the off road rags I found Jaws gear in the Toyota Owners Mag. They looked to have fairly decent deals and I called up to get a Tacoma package deal. No problem, very nice guys. They got me a good price and were very helpful.
When my shippment arrived I got front and rear ring gear and my rear master install kit but no front master install kit and the paper work in the box said it was on back order and would be shipping ASAP when it came in to them. So I thought nothing of it and waited for it to come in. Well I forgot about it till I went to a local offroad shop to have everything installed and was told I didn't have everything. So I called up Jaws gear. They pulled up my order and confirmed that I was short shipped and that they were sorry and it would ship very soon. This was three months after the first parts came.
It is now month seven. Still no front install kit. I called just before Christmas and restated my whole story. Now they don't believe that I was short shipped and they said they can't find my order number, but they'll ship one and it should be at my door around New Years.
Today is Jan. 17th. No parts. I've called every day for the past three days just trying to get a tracking number. They said wait 24 hours for the shipping department to find it. This is bullshit. I could have driven to Cali and picked it up and stopped at a half dozen or so major cities on my way back between now and Christmas and still have gotten it back by now. Apparently, their shipping department doesn't have a phone, cause they can't be reached. In addition I'm guessing that a company that can't pull the UPS website p and give a tracking number really shouldn't be shipping anyway.
Honestly I wouldn't be so mad if first this had been fixed three months ago when I still had my order paper work before I moved and lost it and second since my buddy and his dad offered to save me the $650.00 install fee I was going to have to pay a shop to install the gears for a quarter of that price and dinner this weekend.
I get the feeling they will tell me whatever it takes to get me off the phone, so I'v gotta call someone else and have this install kit over nighted so I can get my truck running right.
Take my advice, DO NOT order anything from these people. Three months was rediculious, six months retarded, and what we have now I can't even put into words.

So, I called back again today to make sure my order was shipped. Again I get attitude like I'm ruining his day for calling. I finally get a tracking number and I head off to the UPS site to check where my order is. The number doesn't work. I called UPS. It was shipped today, like when I called; and sent next day air and will be here tomorrow. That means again they didn't ship before Christmas, they just wanted me to go away and they only shipped it out today to get me off the phone. And its "my" fault they didn't ship the shorted parts 6months ago. Its my fault that when I called in three months after and they confirmed that they made a mistake that it didn't get shipped then. Apparently again at Christmas I caused it not to ship and today I guess i just got on their nerves enough to send my package. So now seven months later I can install the rest of the parts that have been gathering dust in the garage. Do yourselves a favor and NEVER buy anything from Jaws Gear

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Sorry to hear of yer hassle... Why not order from the sponsors/venders listed on this forum... Not guaranteed... But you'll more likely get better service... They do have a reputation to uphold here... And would get a whole rash of shit... it they didn't do so... :2cents:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
update
Headed up to my buddies house this weekend because I finally got all my parts for the gear install, and he and his dad agreed to help. After tearing down the front end and pulling the third, we found that the ring gear they shipped was wrong. So then we started trying to match up the install kits. Both wrong. So on Saturday we discovered that we were done with the front until Monday when I can get Jaws on the phone and get the right ring gear for the front. We finished the rear and did the brakes while everything was apart but still after everything else 3 of 4 boxes shipped by Jaws were wrong including the one that was short shipped and sent only after a pestered them to death.
Tomorrow will be their last time to shine. Hopefully they will overnight or same day ship the right ring gear so I can get my turck out of my buddies garage and I can get back to work and I can get a refund for the unopened wrong parts that will be getting shipped back tomorrow. I won't bash them anymore if this all gets worked out tomorrow, however I will thrash them if I have to eat the price of the parts that I can't use and I find another dealer to get the job complete.
If I had it to do over I would have purchased from one of this sites vendors. At the time money was more important than time and Jaws had the best price and I did get them from the Toyota Owners Mag so I assumed (insert joke here) that all would be good.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay we decided to remove the front Cv's and bolt things back up so I could get home and acquire the needed correct ring gear ( the one that isn't for the pre 98 Tacos) . Called up Jaws, they said i must have an after market front axle. RIGHT and that i was wrong but if I sent it back they would send me the correct one but that it wqs my fault that I didn't tell them that my front axle is different. Well I didn't tell them because as far as I know their is only one front axle housing for my 98 reg cab 4x4 2.7 with manual hubs. Hell I could be wrong I guess.
I told them that the install kits were no where close to anything on my truck and they pretty much said tuff luck. I can send them back but if they find they are right after I pay to have them shipped I will be charged a restock fee, so basically if I ship them back I'm screwing myself eventhough they are wrong (I looked up all the part numbers online and the install kits and the front ring and pinion are for a pre 98 Taco) however they said whatever part number i pulled from the box is also wrong. So it looks like I will have to eat $170 or x2 for the install kits and try to recoup my money on ebay.
My front ring gear will be at their shop Wenesday so I expect the right stuff back Friday night or Saturday and then I'll head back up to Lexington, Ky to finish the job. This has been extremely flustrating. If I had the ability and time I would jump the next plane to Sacramento, Ca and give them a face to talk to. I really don't like anyone to call me a liar, especially after purchasing like $600 bucks in parts from them.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Dispute the payement on your credit card. Tell your cc company that they shipped the wrong parts and refuse to give your money back. Then... once your credit card is credited the money, purchase the correct parts from another vendor.

Either Jaws will accept the return of the parts and give you a full refund minus the parts that you already have installed. Or they can refuse to accept the incorrect parts and your cc company will honor your dispute and authorize a charge back.

Yogi

wkubandit said:
okay we decided to remove the front Cv's and bolt things back up so I could get home and acquire the needed correct ring gear ( the one that isn't for the pre 98 Tacos) . Called up Jaws, they said i must have an after market front axle. RIGHT and that i was wrong but if I sent it back they would send me the correct one but that it wqs my fault that I didn't tell them that my front axle is different. Well I didn't tell them because as far as I know their is only one front axle housing for my 98 reg cab 4x4 2.7 with manual hubs. Hell I could be wrong I guess.
I told them that the install kits were no where close to anything on my truck and they pretty much said tuff luck. I can send them back but if they find they are right after I pay to have them shipped I will be charged a restock fee, so basically if I ship them back I'm screwing myself eventhough they are wrong (I looked up all the part numbers online and the install kits and the front ring and pinion are for a pre 98 Taco) however they said whatever part number i pulled from the box is also wrong. So it looks like I will have to eat $170 or x2 for the install kits and try to recoup my money on ebay.
My front ring gear will be at their shop Wenesday so I expect the right stuff back Friday night or Saturday and then I'll head back up to Lexington, Ky to finish the job. This has been extremely flustrating. If I had the ability and time I would jump the next plane to Sacramento, Ca and give them a face to talk to. I really don't like anyone to call me a liar, especially after purchasing like $600 bucks in parts from them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
yogiaz
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing