TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at both of these benders pretty closely and found some differences that may or may not be very important.....so here it goes.

JD2 bender: $670 with shipping and 1.75" (die has 5.5" radius on a 180* bend)
-machining on die looks like it's better quality
-company has been making benders longer than the other
-has option of hooking up hydraulics to it later

Pro Tools bender: $499 with shipping (free) and 1.75" die (die has 6" radius)
-bender has no "follow bar" as other model does

Both are capable of bending .120 wall tube and are manual benders. At this point I'm just doing things for myself and for local wheelers so I don't require an industrial or heavy duty machine. I'm leaning towards the more expensive bender because I'd rather have better quality tools to work with.

Anyone have experience with either of these benders????

·
Registered
334 Posts
I like my jd2 bender. I've had it for quite a few years now. I did my own air/hydro conversion after hand bending the first test piece and saying screw this! I think its of good quality for us weekend fabricators.

My only bit of advice I can give that was given to me is, whatever bender you get, get dies that do 180* bends, its worth the extra coin spent. And to get an honest 90* you have to go past 90* to break the "memory" of the steel. (Some real technical herbage there! Ha ha)

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have the JD2 bender with the same die you are looking at getting. As stated above, bending that tube manually will give you one hell of a workout. I want to convert mine to air/hydro but I hardly ever use mine so its on the back burner of things to do. But, mine worked great for the few times that I used it.

I will say though that a good solid stand is crucial. I built mine out of some scrap I had laying around, and I might as well built it out of cardboard tube and PVC pipe :rolleyes:. It moves all over the place when you are trying to pull that handle. And it is a pain in the ass to get everything level when it is so wobbly.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when i helped build my tube bed and sliders we used the JD2, although it was not mine. springback on the usual piece of .120 was between 5-7* it seemed like depending on if it was HREW or DOM. when im not working or sleeping im usually at the gym, so doing it manually wont bother me at all. my dad has some really nice stands from where he works that are probably 5" square tubes with 1/2" thick plates on top and bottom powder coated blue from tables that have 1" zinc coated tops from various lines which i can use :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
when i helped build my tube bed and sliders we used the JD2, although it was not mine. springback on the usual piece of .120 was between 5-7* it seemed like depending on if it was HREW or DOM. when im not working or sleeping im usually at the gym, so doing it manually wont bother me at all. my dad has some really nice stands from where he works that are probably 5" square tubes with 1/2" thick plates on top and bottom powder coated blue from tables that have 1" zinc coated tops from various lines which i can use :)
That sounds like it would be a very good candidate for a bender stand.

When I used mine, I would have to jerk the handle (and by that I mean throw my whole body weight into it) to get the bend started and then it would go easily until you had to reset. I am only 5'9" 135lbs so it is a tall task for weak people like myself. :lmao:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a Pro tools 105HD bender and it's worked flawlessly with tube all the way up to 2"x.120 DOM I've bent. Bending that DOM requires a bit of effort, but its not killer and with a bit longer handle than they include, it can be made much easier. iirc the handle they use is about 30", I have one about 48" to increase my leverage and make it easier to do several bends back to back. I've got 1", 1.75", and 2" dies, I've had absolutely no complaints at all in the quality of the dies and the bender. Just regular greasing of all pins is all that has been required. I've seen the JD2 bender in person as well, and IMO my protools seems better and simpler in design.
BTW if you call Pro Tools and tell them you've been shopping JD2 and want a shipped quote to compare with JD, pro tools will probably throw you some sort of a deal. I bought $1300 of bender/dies/notcher from them so they shipped it for free to me.... a savings of $190.
And if you're interested in converting to air over hydraulic.....
http://copperheadfab.com/index.php?action=productview&productid=162

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered it yesterday and today im gonna get some extra stuff like a pipemaster, dimple dies, and some metal to make a bench to mount my vise on. cant wait to start in on some projects again.

·
Registered
662 Posts
That sounds like it would be a very good candidate for a bender stand.

When I used mine, I would have to jerk the handle (and by that I mean throw my whole body weight into it) to get the bend started and then it would go easily until you had to reset. I am only 5'9" 135lbs so it is a tall task for weak people like myself. :lmao:

Make a handle extension for it. A couple extra feet on your moment arm makes a huge difference. I've been impressed overall by the JD2, especially in the realm of consistency. The bends are pretty easy to repeat, which is important in symetrical items.

My handiwork!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is my bender stand with an arm to mount a vise when I go buy one. Also ordered a 1.75" and 1" dimple die last night. Looking for a press so I can use them :)
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's definately solid the SOB must weigh about 75lbs lol. I don't think it's going anywhere!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a JD2 that I have used for years now with no issues.

To address the heavy duty stand. COnvert the JD2 to air/hydro using a kit from Copperhead Fabrication. The air/hydro cylinder from Harbor Freight is $100 and the kit from Copperhead is about $90.

When you convert to the air/hydro you no longer need a stand that is huge and mounted to the floor because the power used to bend the tube is now mounted to the bender rather than the floor (you pulling on the handle)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been doing some bending already and have no problem using the Armstrong Method. If I start getting in spots where I have limited room for the tube in the garage I'll make a second location to mount the stand and/or do the air/hydraulic later.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I built my own bender using these plans. Uses Pro Tools dies and is hydraulic. Works great. Ill be making a post later today about the sliders I just finished building with it. Ive got right at $200 into the steel and hydraulic ram.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts