TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"About 50 miles to the southeast a sudden downpour over the LaSalle mountains triggered flash flooding. It deposited boulders on the main highway between Moab and Monticello and then roared through some back country along Kane Springs Creek.

Several families had been crossing the creek in Jeeps at the time. One vehicle stalled. The family heard a loud roaring noise, which they realized was a flash flood. They scrambled up a slope and watched as a six or seven foot high wall of water slammed into their Jeeps."

They were on Kanes Creek trail.

Full story here: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6593300

And we were thinking about going down there this weekend too darnit.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Well we're all heading out for Moab on Thursday... we'll see what the aftermath is. Hopefully there will still be camping down there if it ran through down by moab.

From the sounds of it, it was further north (Green River/Crescent Junction).

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Scotty's out there camping with his family this weekend. :eek:

·
20,355 Posts
X2, it sucks but is one of the hazards of canyons in the dessert. Bet the Kane creek trail is impassible in that spot now though.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
The rain was epic out there. We were camped up by area BFE to start, but it was really bad and we were way too close to the Desert Rocks concert. So we drove south to Hatch Point Campground down near Monticello.

When we drove back into Moab on Sunday morning they had huge skip loaders out clearing the roads of debris and mud. It was everywhere.

At times the water was literally running off the tops of the Canyon walls like a waterfall.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Man what is it with Alert Noah Rain whenver Troy and I are going to Moab? 2 years ago when we were there the rain was poring off moab rim Like Scotty Described. *sheesh*

I am starting to wonder if we will even be able to run Hells Revenge Friday. I have a feeling Lake michigan will be totally full...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=148988

"I was with a big group (20 or so) camping right before the creek crossing up in Kane Creek just before Hurrah pass. Our entire camp got flooded out and we saw the wall coming at us in the creek bed...about 5-6 ft high of debri and crap. Luckily we had advance warning (not much) and I had got my FJ40 to higher ground and we were in the process of moving other gear when it came....we all got to the road safely, no vehicles or gear were lost. the Kane itself actually held the flood through and past our camp (right at the top) except at the trail crossing it was so much water widening out it couldn't all push back into the creek bed it came up the road and dumped into our camp area. The helicopter used our camp area as an LZ later that night (10:00ish). It was crazy..we have been going for 10 years on memorial weekend and never saw anything like it-nor have the local sheriffs we were talking to-they said it's the worst they have ever seen. I am extremely delighted that everyone up-stream turned out okay we were worrying about them alot.

I guess this is the issues in Kane-the only spots with shade are in the flood plane as that is the only place where vegetation really grows. You either get to pick being beated on by the heat non-stop in the rocks or chancing it by the creek bed...."

Sounds like Kane Creek might be pretty wet to camp when you guys head to Moab.

·
7,735 Posts
Is it wrong that I hope to see a good down pour so I can see a flash flood? I've never seen one, sounds awesome (in the literal sense of the word).

I don't mean any disrespect for those who have been negatively effected by one (I can't imagine standing by and watching my rig get washed away).

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
x2

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's always weird seeing stuff like this in places I've actually been to in person. The start of Kane from Hurrah fork is where I had my worst 'lesson' so far, but it's hard to imagine what I remember of that area flooding out. That's the desert for you.

If the sheriffs are calling this the worst they've ever seen, I wonder how it compares to October a few years back when it took out the 4x4 road in Arches.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
We were there when that October storm hit. It was insane.... I can't imagine it being worse...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts