TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, long time learker, first time poster here!

I've done a ton of searching all over the interwebs but could not find a straight answer to my questions.

I'm gearing up for road trip and need to carry some extra fuel for my 2008 Taco (stupid small gas tanks :banghead:). I have a hard tonneau cover that I'll use to store my gear securely. Long story short, what will be the best option to carry my 5 gallon Wedco gas can?

Option 1: Expeditionware holder under the tonneau. I'm worried about gas spilling on my gear. Or fumes building up as I might be sleeping in the bed.

Option 2: Expeditionware holder bolted to the top of the tonneau. I'm concerned with visibility out the back window and jonny law giving me a hard time.

Option 3: Roof basket of some sort with the can securely strapped down. Can I mount the can flat on it's side so I don't have an obstructed view out the back? Will the can leak? Wedco CARB compliant cans are supposed to be pretty good and not leak but I have my doubts.

Option 4: ???????

I would prefer to do option 3. It would get it out of the bed so no problems with gas in the confined bed and mounting it on its side will not obstruct my view out the back window.

Sorry for the long-winded post and I appriciate any help you can give.

Winky

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
the better quality cans like Wedcos and the surplus European ones are air-tight and do not leak...assuming they have good gaskets... you can store them at any angle you want including flat on their sides. Some sort of securing is necessary to keep the can from sliding around the bed, however.
The Expeditionware setup looks good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Taco Dell, I'd love to do a swing out bumper but its not in the budget at this time. I plan on doing a front bumper before a rear and even that is going to be a while

Hytenor, so it sounds like I should be able to safely store the can under the tonneau. I guess what I'm asking is, if it were you would;

a) buy the expeditionware holder and mount it under the tonneau cover

b) buy a utility rack like this or this and secure the can on the rack on its side.

Thanks for the input!

Winky

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Well - I can vouch for the Wedco Jerry Cans, and the Expeditionware can holders! I've been using them for years, and they're awesome!

As for mounting the cans in the bed under the tonneau cover . . . it *SHOULD* be fine. As Hytenor said - if your cans have good gaskets, and are closed properly there should be absolutely no leaking or venting. I have never had a single drop of gas leak from my Jerry Cans after about 4 years of hauling 2 full cans around in the bed of my truck wheeling, camping, and DD-ing. The fuel cans that I have on my trailer get bounced around LIKE CRAZY sometimes, and have never leaked a drop.

But - if you wanted to be 100% absolutely no-questions safe - putting a cargo basket on your tonneau cover, and mounting or strapping the cans in the basket would be absolutely completely safe and good to go.

If you're just road-tripping, on pavement, I personally wouldn't have reservations putting the Jerry Cans under the tonneau. I would probably check them at every stop, but based on my experience, I would be okay with it. :2cents:

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Taco Dell, I'd love to do a swing out bumper but its not in the budget at this time. I plan on doing a front bumper before a rear and even that is going to be a while

Hytenor, so it sounds like I should be able to safely store the can under the tonneau. I guess what I'm asking is, if it were you would;

a) buy the expeditionware holder and mount it under the tonneau cover

b) buy a utility rack like this or this and secure the can on the rack on its side.

Thanks for the input!

Winky
If I had a cover I'd just use the Expeditions mount with the can on edge.
I carry two cans on long wheeling trips in that position...have for years...and never had any problems.
remember, this type of can is designed to be stacked on pallets...often flat on their sides....shipped via C130s and air-dropped with a chute ;)

·
Registered
837 Posts
As was mentioned the old school Wedco (NATO) cans will not leak and be safe. I have to monitor mine with altitude/temp changes for expansion/contraction because they're completely sealed. The new (Jan 2010+) cans I hear are another story. CARB FTL!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Our military cans leak all the time when they get hot. Its not a problem with the can, its a user error. If you fill the can to the top instead of to its rated (20L) capacity, then it will leak when it heats up.

Just remember to fill them only to the rated capacity and they won't leak at all.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
there were also some pretty trick fuel cans at the off road expo. ive forgotten the name of is but its a flat container and it can cary up to 10 gal. sorry for the vague info.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
www.exp-one.com said:
Due to new EPA regulations, FUEL PACK IS NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR SALE IN THE USA, but is available for export only. Geri WATER CANS ARE AVAILABLE FOR DOMESTIC SALE in both black and white. Water cans are similar to fuel cans but are FDA approved for drinking, also holding just over 4 gallons of fluid.

Designed & Made in The U.S.A
Wow, not cool.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
i use scepter fuel cans and have left them in the truck many times with me when ive slept in my canopy and there is never even a faint smell of fuel. but these cans can be ran over by a 1ton truck and also be fine.seriously.

·
NVTTORA Pres. 社長
696 Posts
Wow and I just saw this at the offroad expo and thought it could eady better than a motto style dump can. Thanks for the info. Sorry to the OP
"Due to new EPA regulations, FUEL PACK IS NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR SALE IN THE USA"

·
Registered
837 Posts
You guys need to poke around on the link I posted. Here's a more direct link:

http://www.rotopax.com/4-Gallon-Gasoline.html

The link to the cans that SAR_Squid79 posted are a better design IMO, but apparently they don't make them in the new CARB compliant design. That's fucked up, since they're a US company... guess they don't want our business.

Once again, CARB FTL!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
i bet you can buy the ones made for water, and they will be the same exact thing. that's how all the moto shops can still sell the non approved gas cans. they call them utility jugs.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
i bet you can buy the ones made for water, and they will be the same exact thing. that's how all the moto shops can still sell the non approved gas cans. they call them utility jugs.
ya, but the water ones alot of the times have a special lining in them so the plastic doesnt affect the taste of water. also not a good idea so store fuel in a container labelled water. i can see it know....oh shit the fires getting away, grab that there water container.......BOOOOOOOM:flamethro

1 - 19 of 19 Posts