TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jimbo74's Xtra Cab

This is my new truck. It is a 22r, g52, 1984, sr5, xcab, 4x4, solid axle, 4.10 gears, RN66, CA emissions

I bought this truck from 8Snaces on MCBB

Needs a lot of work, and TLC. I got it without an engine. It also had a first gen. bed on it. That bed is up for sale, as I will be putting the bobbed first gen. bed off of my 85. The engine it is getting is from my rolled 85 2wd, 22r, ca emissions – the smog setup seems a little bit different, but still falls well within legal requirements. the truck seems to be set up as the older 22r, and my 85 22r has the pear exhaust ports like the 22re

I’m working on getting the engine in now…. It still needs some misc. engine parts like the idler system and such to add power steering, it doesn’t have a/c or a smog pump so that wont be an issue

Got a grill, bumper and grill guard for it, also have headlights, turn signals…

The front crossmember was FUBARed, so I built one, and had a NorcalPR weld it in for me -- THANKS Phil

ALSO A BIG THANKS TO robrub00!!!!

and others from MCBB

LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING HER RUNNING!!!! But my busy schedule with work, school, & lack of $ make this difficult :rivers:

Plans are to do a ghetto lift ASAP – but first get it running. rears up front w/ banana shackles, dropped drag link, and the rears from my rolled 2wd in back with longer shackles, possibly the aal and blocks if needed

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The build up section or the tech folder???? :dunno:

Either way, I'm follwing it. :D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this thread has actually been around quite awhile, but a lot has happened since then, so i updated this thread by editing the original post

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
there is a 3 way wire tap with a butt connector wrapped in electrical tape FROM THE FACTORY!!!!!!! @ first i thought a PO did a hack job, then when i went to the junkyard today, found 2 other unmolested trucks with the same thing!!!! i ended up soldering the 2 headlight wires together and extending them to their own connection @ the battery post. i then extended the big white wire to the post by itself using 8 gauge (same as what was there) to the post. (well when i finally get around to it)

also want to run an extra ground to the frame side of the pass motor mount from the battery ... i don't think you can ever have too many grounds.....

i am going to run 8 gauge for the ground from the firewall to the backside of the head..

i am using epoxy coated marine terminals, the pos side has a 3/8 stud with wignut and the pass side has a slightly smaller stud

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
new pics!!!!

OK here is the exhaust..... i usually run it like this (open) i hate my neighbors ;) and like the way it sounds

here is the muffler, it is sleeved so it slips on to the rest, and it has a clamp to make it legal or hush it up a little bit

and here is a pic from the front, none of that is bolted in just ziptied in place for the picture....

ENGINE IS IN!!! AND CONNECTED TO TRANNY!!!!!! now i just need to bolt it all down

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Engine in! RAWR!!!!!

2wd rear springs with aal

harbor freight electric impact

random garage/truck pic

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

have no idea what these plugs are for

this may not be the right plug on here, this wire just comes off the bottom of the intake somehow (also in the lower right of this picture is the oil sensor, the engine had an oil idiot light, and htis truck has a oil pressure guage

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow its been a long time.... my truck runs! has an issue right now, but i will hop on it next week..... one of the water neck bolt holes is stripped....

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its been awhile since i posted here.. my truck runs!!!!!!

it has all its body parts now, i just dont have newer pics

·
Registered
166 Posts
Jimbo,
Can you post some more info on the headlight conversion?
What was necessary, how you did it, how you did the trim?
Can you also post a pic of the trim.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jimbo,
Can you post some more info on the headlight conversion?
What was necessary, how you did it, how you did the trim?
Can you also post a pic of the trim.
Thanks
there is no trim, what you see is what you get.....

they are stock headlights and buckets from an 81 toyota, i think i had to drill 1 hole per side, and then just found some nuts and bolts i had lying around.... the headlight harness just clip on like the regular bulbs (they can also be swapped to h4s later)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks Jimbo.
I've heard that you might be able to swap the entire grill and trim from the earlier trucks.
I'll have to see if I can find info on it

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Jimbo.
I've heard that you might be able to swap the entire grill and trim from the earlier trucks.
I'll have to see if I can find info on it
you can, the fronts are pretty much the same, in fact, the radiator support is identical i think... the inner fenders may be identical as well.....

the only issue you might run into is the fact the corner lights on the 84-88 are fender mounted, and they are integrated as part of the headlight trim on the 79-81

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so THATS what youve been workin on. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :light bulb goes on:

havent you seen it on marlin?

anyways, here are some new pics... i finished painting the bed today.....

automatic jerry can pump

IT'S ALL BLACK!!!!

so last week on my way to work, i heard a clunking like a bolt falling off and bouncing around and hitting the ground..... hmmmm.... sometime later i nthe week, i then developed horrible death squeal on start up....... went to look today, and tightened up the power steering pump pulley that was a little loose.... checked the alternator, and couldn't get the top bolt loose at all, the bolt head is trashed.... found out there is no bottom bolt!!!! and the belt is crazy loose, well, at least i know what it is... time for a bolt..... might just go to the dealership to get it if they have it in stock, then i don't have to mess with finding the right size and all of that....

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i dont update this thread much as im usually on marlin's bb.... but here are the newest pics....

it now has some pro-comp springs i got for free ..... dont know how much lift they are, but they gave me 4" up front... havent lifted the back yet, i have 2" shackles, but they arent |-| shaped anymore and i need to bend them back, they are (-) shaped

1 - 20 of 21 Posts