TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really THAT hard to find one right now? I see postings everywhere, but all I hear is "unemployment". Case in point, I work at a fairly successful shop in Colorado Springs. Seeing as I am only 21, I am getting screwed in my pay and my boss won't get off his ass and help me out. I have been giving the boss the best numbers of the year the past 4 months. I have thought of the "2 week notice" deal, but thought what if it doesn't work...lol I do have 2 weeks paid vacation and benefits, but can't get my vehicles new parts. And working 70+ hours a week sucks pretty hard.

I thought about school, but I work too much.

Thoughts?

·
7,735 Posts
I guess it depends on the field that you work in. Some seem to be more plentiful than others. If you don't need a break in between jobs (the current slave driver hasn't burned you out) then I'd say start applying/interviewing and give the notice when you got the other job locked down.

If you're thinking of going back to school instead of another job, I got no advice.. I don't know how anybody would do it once they establish bills, mortgage, etc. Frankly I'm beyond impressed that we have this many students who wheel, I have no idea how they afford it.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Frankly I'm beyond impressed that we have this many students who wheel, I have no idea how they afford it.
The way most of us do it: Massive debt. It is 10x easier to do it right after HS, however. Although the only money I owe is student loans. Everything else is paid off. But I know plenty of people that owe 15k on their car and another 2k in credit cards, on top of student loans.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Don't forget the MASSIVE debt due to medical bills. That one is a killer for me.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
ike, the short version, for me at least, is I play as much as I get paid. I work as much as sanity allows and it keeps me enjoying my hobbies.

SOM, school is always a good option. like kyle said, student loans seem to be the norm but they can be avoided. Im proof of that to this point. and one thing about the loans is that anymore, a degree, regardless of what it is, means higher pay. that makes those loans easier to pay off.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Yeah there are plenty of job openings around if you happen to have the skill set and education the company happens to be looking for. Tons of IT openings in and around Springs but for those of us who swear at the computer more than program it, we're out of luck.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I'd say start applying/interviewing and give the notice when you got the other job locked down.
x2 - but here's my advice to EVERYONE. The grass ain't necessarily greener on the other side - it's just different grass. Every job has it's +'s and -'s, and it's unlikely (not impossible) that you will land your dream job out of a job posting. MOST people I have seen leave because "they hate their job" and take something else and find they hate it too, and end up with a questionable job history on their resume, appearing to jump jobs every couple of years.

Of course, if you're not looking and make yourself unavailable to the options, then it will be impossible to find your dream job.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Frankly I'm beyond impressed that we have this many students who wheel, I have no idea how they afford it.
Luckily, I've got the military helping me with mine. Have to appreciate my dad for transfering the GI bill over to me. Otherwise I can't imagine how we'd be currently.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Luckily, I've got the military helping me with mine. Have to appreciate my dad for transfering the GI bill over to me. Otherwise I can't imagine how we'd be currently.
That is what I am gonna do.

I was actually fired 2 times today, but he told me to come back to work. So I think the end is near and Ill just go flip burgers:D

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Woah - shizoid Boss there! I love you, I hate you, I love you, I hate you.... Not worth the hours and low pay!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I was actually fired 2 times today, but he told me to come back to work.
Sounds like you had 2 new jobs where you could negotiate a higher salary to me. :D

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not enough time in between, I decided last night that I won't be working Saturdays or late hours anymore. Or until my pay changes. If it does end, I will just be looking at schools and burger joints:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts