TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of coming to SW CO, from Phoenix, over the 4th of july. I have a week, and a locked tacoma. Since I`ll be by myself I`m into high scenic trails, but not limited to them. If there something worth seeing and I can get there, I`d like to see it. The following area is where I`m looking:
San Juan NP, Weminunche Wilderness Area, north to Montrose-don`t want to
travel anymore north or east than that. I`m down for some good `ole camping, wheelin, maybe some fishing...may even look into farmington NM, I know there a takeover there this year.

Never been to CO, and I`d like to have a very nice, relaxed-but eventful trip. Can anyone highly recommend a trail, area, or site that is a must see??

·
Registered
80 Posts
padesertboy said:
Im thinking of coming to SW CO, from Phoenix, over the 4th of july. I have a week, and a locked tacoma. Since I`ll be by myself I`m into high scenic trails, but not limited to them. If there something worth seeing and I can get there, I`d like to see it. The following area is where I`m looking:
San Juan NP, Weminunche Wilderness Area, north to Montrose-don`t want to
travel anymore north or east than that. I`m down for some good `ole camping, wheelin, maybe some fishing...may even look into farmington NM, I know there a takeover there this year.

Never been to CO, and I`d like to have a very nice, relaxed-but eventful trip. Can anyone highly recommend a trail, area, or site that is a must see??
San Juan Trails near Ouray...Not sure how muddy it will be at the beginning of July though! Varies yearly. Though, it seems you may be aware of these. I definitely recommend Imogene Pass if you're interested in panoramic views... Each trail (Excluding Poughkeepsie Gulch) offers an outstanding summit-view...Poughkeepsie is by far the most challenging trail (Excluding Black Bear, which requires skill, patience, and balls of steel!) though, as the name implies it travels thru a Gulch, thus if you screw up, not a good chance at being injured, though a lot of vehicles roll on the optional obstacles of Poughkeepsie.

I recommend in Ouray:
Yankee Boy Basin-- At least to the falls
Imogene--Easier from Telluride TO Ouray, though the travel is traveled in both directions, more commonly from Telluride to Ouray.
Black Bear Pass-- If you're experienced, and don't mind heights, and are comfortable making TIGHT switchbacks with no margin for error, take Black Bear Pass from Ouray to Telluride, and head back via Imogene Pass to wind up back in Ouray. This is a common loop, takes a day. Gorgeous views from both passes.
Clear Lake- Easy trail off one of the mineral roads that branches from Highway 550. At the summit lies a clear clear clear lake, and oustanding views, course!
Engineer Pass/The Alpine Loop, lots to see here, 26 miles or around that, takes a day, brings you to Lake City and back around! It's a cliche trail when visiting the San Juans, difficulty depends on year, but is usually a little bit more difficult than Imogene.

If you want SOME thrill: Poughkeepsie.

Bangs Canyon in GJ is a fun trail to run--as stated above, has a much greater chance for vehicle damage than any listed above (Excluding Poughkeepsie) as its much rougher than any of these trails. Offers great views and a wide variety of obstacles, most of the challenging shit is optional.

Course, if you're going to scatter your way up to GJ, might as well head out to Moab...Arches National Park/Canyon Land National Park offer lots and lots of scenic trails, ranging from easy to difficult. On the downside, I'm sure it's very crowded in July, and judging from how hot it was last weekend, It'll be scorching!

-Hope this helps,
Jordan

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
If you're willing to come as far north as Montrose, you could keep going a litle further to the GJ area, Bangs Canyon, etc, or not too far west you can head up to Crested Butte, then over Schofield, Pearl or Taylor Pass and drop into Aspen and to my neck of the woods!

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FJGrandJunction said:
San Juan Trails near Ouray...Not sure how muddy it will be at the beginning of July though! Varies yearly. Though, it seems you may be aware of these. I definitely recommend Imogene Pass if you're interested in panoramic views... Each trail (Excluding Poughkeepsie Gulch) offers an outstanding summit-view...Poughkeepsie is by far the most challenging trail (Excluding Black Bear, which requires skill, patience, and balls of steel!) though, as the name implies it travels thru a Gulch, thus if you screw up, not a good chance at being injured, though a lot of vehicles roll on the optional obstacles of Poughkeepsie.

I recommend in Ouray:
Yankee Boy Basin-- At least to the falls
Imogene--Easier from Telluride TO Ouray, though the travel is traveled in both directions, more commonly from Telluride to Ouray.
Black Bear Pass-- If you're experienced, and don't mind heights, and are comfortable making TIGHT switchbacks with no margin for error, take Black Bear Pass from Ouray to Telluride, and head back via Imogene Pass to wind up back in Ouray. This is a common loop, takes a day. Gorgeous views from both passes.
Clear Lake- Easy trail off one of the mineral roads that branches from Highway 550. At the summit lies a clear clear clear lake, and oustanding views, course!
Engineer Pass/The Alpine Loop, lots to see here, 26 miles or around that, takes a day, brings you to Lake City and back around! It's a cliche trail when visiting the San Juans, difficulty depends on year, but is usually a little bit more difficult than Imogene.

If you want SOME thrill: Poughkeepsie.

Bangs Canyon in GJ is a fun trail to run--as stated above, has a much greater chance for vehicle damage than any listed above (Excluding Poughkeepsie) as its much rougher than any of these trails. Offers great views and a wide variety of obstacles, most of the challenging shit is optional.

Course, if you're going to scatter your way up to GJ, might as well head out to Moab...Arches National Park/Canyon Land National Park offer lots and lots of scenic trails, ranging from easy to difficult. On the downside, I'm sure it's very crowded in July, and judging from how hot it was last weekend, It'll be scorching!

-Hope this helps,
Jordan

Thanks Jordan!
Is there a website that has info on trails in area (sw CO)?

So, how bad is the mud?? Probably nasty pudding huh?

·
Registered
80 Posts
padesertboy said:
Thanks Jordan!
Is there a website that has info on trails in area (sw CO)?

So, how bad is the mud?? Probably nasty pudding huh?

www.traildamage.com should have every trail mentioned. I've never been in early July, usually late July, but let me be optimistic and say...depending on how fast the snow melts and how much snow there was; it very well could be just fine in early July...

This year I'll be there the week of the 12-15th for the FJ cruiser summit. So hoping for the best!

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I`m looking at the following: Black Bear & Engineer Pass for sure. How are the Imogene & California trials?

Then maybe over to: Blanca Peak, Medeno (maybe Hermit Pass), and grizzly lake & Schofield Pass.

I have 10-12 days have off: prob. 6-7 days in CO-2 days of those I hope to be fishin...then over to Moab and Canyonlands for 3-4 days.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Sounds fun! Let me know what dates you might be in the Schofield area and I'll try to join you. We will hopefully run Schofield June 23-24th and Pearl, Taylor and others are very close by. Where/when do you think you'll be in Moab?

·
Registered
80 Posts
padesertboy said:
I`m looking at the following: Black Bear & Engineer Pass for sure. How are the Imogene & California trials?

Then maybe over to: Blanca Peak, Medeno (maybe Hermit Pass), and grizzly lake & Schofield Pass.

I have 10-12 days have off: prob. 6-7 days in CO-2 days of those I hope to be fishin...then over to Moab and Canyonlands for 3-4 days.

Imogene is nadda tough, just make sure you stay on the trail, there are TONS and tons of branch-offs that were made by atvers etc, and thus go no-where. California Gulch is extmely easy, but I do remember it is ALWAYS raining/sometimes snowing near the summit...When I says always, I do not mean all day, but the mountain fly-by-the-minute-weather style.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FJGrandJunction said:
Imogene is nadda tough, just make sure you stay on the trail, there are TONS and tons of branch-offs that were made by atvers etc, and thus go no-where. California Gulch is extmely easy, but I do remember it is ALWAYS raining/sometimes snowing near the summit...When I says always, I do not mean all day, but the mountain fly-by-the-minute-weather style.

Sweet, thanks for the info. I do have alot of time, but I want to do my research and make sure I get the most out of my trip. I`ll probably leave June 30th (saturday) and be in the area from sunday to wednesday...I want to have atleast 2 days in Moab, and want to hit Needles on the way home.
I do a similiar trip every 4th...Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Area 51 & Vegas in `05 & Arches-maze, Canyonlands, and Grand Canyon in `06.

·
Registered
80 Posts
padesertboy said:
Sweet, thanks for the info. I do have alot of time, but I want to do my research and make sure I get the most out of my trip. I`ll probably leave June 30th (saturday) and be in the area from sunday to wednesday...I want to have atleast 2 days in Moab, and want to hit Needles on the way home.
I do a similiar trip every 4th...Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Area 51 & Vegas in `05 & Arches-maze, Canyonlands, and Grand Canyon in `06.

Well if you want some company I'd definitely do the San Juan Trails (Imogene, Black Bear...etc!) and possibly Moab...But it is far in advance so I couldn't say for sure. I'm quite sure I'll be up there around then checking out the trail conditions, though.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FJGrandJunction said:
Well if you want some company I'd definitely do the San Juan Trails (Imogene, Black Bear...etc!) and possibly Moab...But it is far in advance so I couldn't say for sure. I'm quite sure I'll be up there around then checking out the trail conditions, though.
sweet, company/someone who knows the area would be great-especially since I`m probably running solo this time...

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
padesertboy said:
sweet, company/someone who knows the area would be great-especially since I`m probably running solo this time...
Anyone fraulic in the Curecanti National Rec area?
That an Ouray look like a very cool places...

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
padesertboy said:
Anyone fraulic in the Curecanti National Rec area?

Does anyone have pics of the wall on poughkeepsie?
I got Funtreks Colorado wheelin trails book and I don`t
think the pic does it justice....

·
Registered
80 Posts
padesertboy said:
Does anyone have pics of the wall on poughkeepsie?
I got Funtreks Colorado wheelin trails book and I don`t
think the pic does it justice....

I haven't done Poughkeepsie in many years, and then I took a tour, as it was my first time in the San Juans. Going down Poughkeepsie most say is doable, a lot of vehicles roll, but mostly on the optional obstacles, a lot of sharp descents that are muddy as can be and you have no traction whatsoever! Some say lockers help...I'd try but I'm not in the game for rolling my '07 FJ if shit hits the fan...or dinging it! What kind of rig do you have? if you're lifted with BFG A/T KO's or some type of MT's...Sliders and at least a rear locker, you should be OK...if you have front and rear lockers, I'm sure it will be a breeze...

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I doubt these pics will help much but it is all I have of poughkipsee...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just went over Imogene this past July and loved it. Keep in mind that the weather at the bottom near Ouray may be different than what is up on top. It was pissing rain and I ran into a coupla mudslides at the bottom but at the top it was clear as could be. I'm going to be back up in the area the last 2 weeks in July. My family lives in Montrose. I'm thinking Engineer pass this time. Was raised up in them there hills. My family used to jump in the big bad suburban and take both trails. Want to take on Black Bear but not yet. You will not be disappointed wherever you end up going. Good ol 21 Road. That is what I think it was called up near Grand Junction. You have to drive and drive and drive but when you get there.....its a lot of fun. Used to screw up my old Blazer when I was growing up. Hope this helps out a lil bit.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Really???!!!!??? Wow. Shows how much I have been away. I did that trail gawd.....10 years ago?? I think. I wouldn't take my new taco on it but I'd like to attack it with something beat up. Maybe in a few years.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts