TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using booster cables to jump start a vehicle, the cables say the last step is to put the neg cable to the stalled vehicle to the engine block...NOT the neg battery post. I haven't jumped a vehicle in years, but I always used the neg post on both vehicles. What is the purpose of this. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
The gases in the battery are highly flammable. Any spark while connecting could cause an explosion. I sometimes connect the ground to the bumper for that reason. Any grounded part of your truck will work.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Also, running the current thru the battery can cause it to heat up. That increases the tendency of batteries to explode. You really do not want sulfuric acid all over you.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
MtnM said:
Also, running the current thru the battery can cause it to heat up. That increases the tendency of batteries to explode. You really do not want sulfuric acid all over you.
If you hook the jumper cable to the negative post, or something the negative post is connected to (like the frame) you are still running current through the battery!

Where do you think the current goes if you hook the jumper cable to the bumper?

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
264 Posts
MtnM said:
Nah, it's just the spark hazard. The last connection to complete the circuit is gonna spark - and batteries give off hydrogen gas.

:explode:

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
Nah, it's just the spark hazard. The last connection to complete the circuit is gonna spark - and batteries give off hydrogen gas.
Thank you. We need all the help we can get to squash misinformation.

Later,
....Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts