TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Bullshit post whore thread is on the NB, post THERE for bullshit. http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?p=848319&posted=1#post848319

NO fucking bullshit allowed here, I will only say this ONCE.

Post on this thread for useful info.

ALL posts here (in the Norcal chapter thread) will be deleted/edited if they are not relevent to the recovery process. Dont get butthurt if you start bullshitting with one another and your posts dissappear.

This is a serious recovery effort, not a fucking MYSPACE party.

If you have a problem with that, PM me and tell me so.

Begin copy of NB post:

June 2-3 will be the weekend to recover the abandoned Dodge at Barney Riley.

I know how threads go around here, so if your coming in late on the info, look on the NorCal chapter forum for the 'bullshit free' thread. Any posts on the NorCal chapter thread NOT informative WILL be deleted..The NorCal chapter post will be strictly for information regarding the recovery.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68850

Reanna (Reebles) has done a lot to get us where we are with the 'official' recovery of the abandoned Dodge. She has spent her own time to contact the Forest Service, and has been in contact with Lawrence Anderson, who is the Forest Service person responsible for this area. Lawrence WILL be in attendendance for this recovery...and he is motivated to get this rig OFF the trail; but he is also VERY worried about the risks of starting a fire during this recovery. That IMO is THE major concern here. Fire concerns are our #1 Priority. Fire extingushers are needed for all that attend. IMO too much fire prevention is a good thing.

We as a group also need to think about duties. This run/recovery can easily turn into a 'clusterfuck'. Someone needs to be a lead. Hopefully, we will have plenty of manpower...and rigs.

IMO, as NorCal president...the MAJOR person who we ALL need to follow is the Forest Service rep, Lawrence. Secondly would be myself and/or Reanna (Reebles) and lastly any other NorCal staff members. PLEASE contribute as much as you can, lets give this effort 110% as a GROUP.

Dont get angry if/when someone asks for stuff to be done and you dont like the result. INPUT is highly recommended, and never ignored. If you think things should be done another way, SPEAK UP!....This IS a GROUP effort.

AJ from Bentup will also assist in the recovery process. We have a self powered generator/welder which we will use to fabricate the towing points. Much thanks go out to Bentup for assisting here.

Plan #1 is to fabricate a pintle hitch setup to the front of the Dodge, and attempt to tow it out with a couple rigs tied together. Cut the doors off, cut the interior out, weld the front wheels so they turn together. Lighten the load as much as possible. Load any and all scrap into empty trucks for transport to the trailhead for pickup.

I am thinking 2 rigs up front tied together, and one in back. The two up front do most of the pulling, and the one in rear can PUSH as needed, and also be strapped/chained in for downhill braking as needed.

Before ANY plan can begin, the Dodge needs to be put back onto the trail, and front wheels/tires installed. That is a task in itself. Currently it sits off the trail in a nasty uphill section, with not much room to work in. No wheels up front, but there are some generic wheels installed in the rear with only 2 lugs per wheel....Either we high-lift it back onto the trail (sketchy at best) or possibly get a rig to 'tread heavily' off the trail in position to winch it onto the trail. I think this will need to be decided by the Forest Service person in attendence. We will probably WELD the rear wheels onto the drums to keep the remaining wheel studs from breaking off during the recovery process.

Whos rigs, which rigs has yet to be determined....and I dont think that can be decided until we really SEE WHO shows up. AJ talked to me about possible fabrication of a PUSH bumper much like the CHP uses, and I would be willing to be that push vechicle as long as I have something strong up front...So that is a good possibility.

IMO its best to attempt recovery of the complete vehicle before plan #2, which is cutting it up.

Plan #2 is only if plan #1 fails.

Plan #2 would be to cut up the rig, and make 2 trailer setups out of the front and rear halfs of the Dodge frame.

If plan #2 were to happen, I am confident that those people present will make a group decsion on how it will work out...but with proper planning and preperation; I hope it will not happen.

I look forward to seeing all of you at Barney Riley...

And here are a few pictures of what we will be dealing with...........

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
If you think this is bullshit then delete it.
If someone could save me some time- somewhere in a post someone told me about some brand of sawzall blades that are really good as in last more than five minutes. If someone can refresh my memory what brand, I'll be at the Dodge with a cordless sawzall a few batteries and a pack of good blades.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
If you think this is bullshit then delete it.
If someone could save me some time- somewhere in a post someone told me about some brand of sawzall blades that are really good as in last more than five minutes. If someone can refresh my memory what brand, I'll be at the Dodge with a cordless sawzall a few batteries and a pack of good blades.
At work we use Milwalke blades. They last pretty long if you know how to use a sawzall..

They do make some Tungsten Carbide tipped blades that I've heard work well...

-Phill

I'll most likely be making this trip. Keeping it open.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
At work we use Milwalke blades. They last pretty long if you know how to use a sawzall..

They do make some Tungsten Carbide tipped blades that I've heard work well...

-Phill

I'll most likely be making this trip. Keeping it open.
Milwaukee Torch Blades.

One took care of my ifs.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Thats right, Torch is what I heard before.
Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts