TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
June 2-3 will be the weekend to recover the abandoned Dodge at Barney Riley.

I know how threads go around here, so if your coming in late on the info, look on the NorCal chapter forum for the 'bullshit free' thread. Any posts on the NorCal chapter thread NOT informative WILL be deleted..The NorCal chapter post will be strictly for information regarding the recovery.

Link to NorCal INFO ONLY thread:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68850

Reanna (Reebles) has done a lot to get us where we are with the 'official' recovery of the abandoned Dodge. She has spent her own time to contact the Forest Service, and has been in contact with Lawrence Anderson, who is the Forest Service person responsible for this area. Lawrence WILL be in attendendance for this recovery...and he is motivated to get this rig OFF the trail; but he is also VERY worried about the risks of starting a fire during this recovery. That IMO is THE major concern here. Fire concerns are our #1 Priority. Fire extingushers are needed for all that attend. IMO too much fire prevention is a good thing.

We as a group also need to think about duties. This run/recovery can easily turn into a 'clusterfuck'. Someone needs to be a lead. Hopefully, we will have plenty of manpower...and rigs.

IMO, as NorCal president...the MAJOR person who we ALL need to follow is the Forest Service rep, Lawrence. Secondly would be myself and/or Reanna (Reebles) and lastly any other NorCal staff members. PLEASE contribute as much as you can, lets give this effort 110% as a GROUP.

Dont get angry if/when someone asks for stuff to be done and you dont like the result. INPUT is highly recommended, and never ignored. If you think things should be done another way, SPEAK UP!....This IS a GROUP effort.

AJ from Bentup will also assist in the recovery process. We have a self powered generator/welder which we will use to fabricate the towing points. Much thanks go out to Bentup for assisting here.

Plan #1 is to fabricate a pintle hitch setup to the front of the Dodge, and attempt to tow it out with a couple rigs tied together. Cut the doors off, cut the interior out, weld the front wheels so they turn together. Lighten the load as much as possible. Load any and all scrap into empty trucks for transport to the trailhead for pickup.

I am thinking 2 rigs up front tied together, and one in back. The two up front do most of the pulling, and the one in rear can PUSH as needed, and also be strapped/chained in for downhill braking as needed.

Before ANY plan can begin, the Dodge needs to be put back onto the trail, and front wheels/tires installed. That is a task in itself. Currently it sits off the trail in a nasty uphill section, with not much room to work in. No wheels up front, but there are some generic wheels installed in the rear with only 2 lugs per wheel....Either we high-lift it back onto the trail (sketchy at best) or possibly get a rig to 'tread heavily' off the trail in position to winch it onto the trail. I think this will need to be decided by the Forest Service person in attendence. We will probably WELD the rear wheels onto the drums to keep the remaining wheel studs from breaking off during the recovery process.

Whos rigs, which rigs has yet to be determined....and I dont think that can be decided until we really SEE WHO shows up. AJ talked to me about possible fabrication of a PUSH bumper much like the CHP uses, and I would be willing to be that push vechicle as long as I have something strong up front...So that is a good possibility.

IMO its best to attempt recovery of the complete vehicle before plan #2, which is cutting it up.

Plan #2 is only if plan #1 fails.

Plan #2 would be to cut up the rig, and make 2 trailer setups out of the front and rear halfs of the Dodge frame.

If plan #2 were to happen, I am confident that those people present will make a group decsion on how it will work out...but with proper planning and preperation; I hope it will not happen.

I look forward to seeing all of you at Barney Riley...

And here are a few pictures of what we will be dealing with...........

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thanks for posting this Andy ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
with 4.56's and 35 on a 3.slow i am not going to be much help pulling. i might be able to help in the push/break department. or at least be another asshole wiht a highlift and engineering mind.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Well I just got my bubble busted............I can't make this on that weekend....damn.....we have the babyshower in fresno that weekend.....I was just informed about it this morning.....how ever......I am planing to go up on the weekend before...........This will be the last time I get to go for a bit....let me know what I can do on that weekend....and remember I have the steering arms from my rig that should work on the HOS......

chris

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I might be able to make this...not 100% sure yet though....I would be willing to assist with whatever needs to be done to get that POS out of there.

I can be the one in the back of the HOS if need be to push the hos.....then again maybe not I might just drive right over the thing

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
I will most likely make it. I am keeping that weekend open.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Should be doable for me that weekend.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
GREAT EVENT IDEA Andy. Wish it was closer to SoCal? Would be there in a heart beat. I volunteer a tank of gas to help out, or for parts/pieces, PM me. I'll do what I can to help ease the burdon.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I will deffinately be there. It'll be good to get that thing out.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I may be able to make this. I got a winch and I could bring a cut-off wheel, saws all and cut-off torch if necessary.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may be able to make this. I got a winch and I could bring a cut-off wheel, saws all and cut-off torch if necessary.
Hope you can.

Although since the FS is SOOOOOO paranoid about starting a fire, we want to limit anything and everything with sparks. Cutoff wheels and torches are not recommended here. Sawzalls are very recommended, and AJ's welder/generator can power the electric sawzalls. I have a DeWalt 18v battery sawzall and about 5 batteries for it. Im sure we will have plenty of tools to cut with, and realistically shouldn't need to cut much at all if we drag it out in one chunk.

Sparks from welding/fabrication is going to be bad enough. I hope some people can bring some tarps or thick blankets or something we can wet down really good and have people hold them up to contain the sparks.

Hell if sparks we not an issue, I have a gas-powered cutoff saw that would make pieces of that Dogde in just minutes. But that thing puts out a shower of sparks that looks like the 4th of July.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
I say everyone bring at least 2 empty 5 gal buckets and fill them up at the river. They can be used for any sparks that start out in the brush.

I'll see if I can borrow a large ABC extinguisher from Fremont.

Everyone should bring a shovel. We couple put out any fires with it, and even clean out a area around the dodge of weeds and such.

I can probably bring a couple canvas blankets. They are used for welding, but we can also wet them down as a extra measure.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I say everyone bring at least 2 empty 5 gal buckets and fill them up at the river. They can be used for any sparks that start out in the brush.

I'll see if I can borrow a large ABC extinguisher from Fremont.

Everyone should bring a shovel. We couple put out any fires with it, and even clean out a area around the dodge of weeds and such.

I can probably bring a couple canvas blankets. They are used for welding, but we can also wet them down as a extra measure.

And a newbie firefighter like you will come in handy too.

Im going to buy a buncha 1 gallon water jugs (5 or 7) from the grocery store. I dont know how far the river is from the Dodge, but I wanna think its about an hours drive. So IMO its better to bring water in from the get go as opposed to having to drive 2 hours for some water that will probably get spilled on the way back.

Since you mention weeds, perhaps someone has an electric weed-eater that we could use to clear out a 25' area around the work, then rake the stuff away from danger of sparking.

Great suggestions BTW.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
And a newbie firefighter like you will come in handy too.

Im going to buy a buncha 1 gallon water jugs (5 or 7) from the grocery store. I dont know how far the river is from the Dodge, but I wanna think its about an hours drive. So IMO its better to bring water in from the get go as opposed to having to drive 2 hours for some water that will probably get spilled on the way back.

Since you mention weeds, perhaps someone has an electric weed-eater that we could use to clear out a 25' area around the work, then rake the stuff away from danger of sparking.

Great suggestions BTW.
Well, if anyone has any old paint buckets, you just let the paint dry up and you peel the paint. Now you are left with a clean bucket, and a clean lid that snaps in place :cool:

I have two like that, so I'll be able to bring 10 gallons of water.

It looks like theres more brush than weeds around the dodge. Those can probably be cut down if the FS is ok with it. I can bring a Axe. Even a chainsaw could probably be used.

I even have a 1 or 2 gallon weed sprayer that I use to wash my dirtbike. I can jsut fill that with water. While welding use that to spray at the ground. With all the water we bring it should last a long time and can be sprayed anywhere as opposed to dumping it and wating a buncha water...

With the effors of people there and the preventive measures we take, we should be fine.

We should probably drag the HOS a little bit out onto the trail, so the drivers side is in the middle of the trail. That way we can cut and weld and do whatever and have less of a risk. Then we can drag it furthermore into the trail so we can do the pass side.

Want me to bring my turnouts :p

·
Registered
272 Posts
the whole fire thing....

if its windy id be carefull with the sparks, that sage brush once its dried out, it goes quick and more then liky you untrained fools wont catch it once it spots. that. espacally if the RH will be low.

and turn outs for a brush fire ?:rolleyes: :eek:

oh yeah, if they are really that scared....just tell your forest service rep to fine jason lam , in the fs contacts system and ill talk too them about the fire situation.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
the whole fire thing....

if its windy id be carefull with the sparks, that sage brush once its dried out, it goes quick and more then liky you untrained fools wont catch it once it spots. that. espacally if the RH will be low.

and turn outs for a brush fire ?:rolleyes: :eek:
Yeah, I know. My wildland gear is out getting serviced. We had a wildland fire last week on Monday and I had to fight that in my structure gear. It sucked.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
It'll be nice to finally meet you (and I don't mean that in a a-hole way)

1 - 20 of 354 Posts