TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who showed up to help rebuild the Walker Hill bridge last year know what a fun project that was. This time we're teaming up with other FOTR people and building a fence to block off the gatekeeper bypass. We're thinking about building something like this:

http://terragalleria.com/pictures-subjects/fences/picture.fences.grte2240.html

It would be pretty easy to build with wood found nearby.

There will be a big party afterwards at Robb's Resort just a few miles from Loon Lake. The food and raffle are going to be sponsored by BFG. There will be some magazine folks there as well.

Don't let the Rubicon scare you, a Honda can get to the spillway where we will be doing the work.

What better way to spend a weekend than wheeling, camping, and helping the trail at the same time!

See you there!
....Mike

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Mike by Gatekeeper bypass do you mean the trail down through the private property at the bottom of the bowl or the old atv bypass to the left of Gatekeeper or???

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike by Gatekeeper bypass do you mean the trail down through the private property at the bottom of the bowl or the old atv bypass to the left of Gatekeeper or???
Hey Todd, we're going to fence off the bypass that goes down the slabs to the bottom of the bowl. We have permission to drive on the private property for the purposes of this project, so we can get people and materials back and forth without having to drive through the gatekeeper and all the way around.

So far it looks like we need three teams, a wood gathering and transport team, and a couple fence assembly teams. As far as tools go, I think I have it covered, just need some bodies. :D

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
768 Posts
If you have the time, you should go!

I will be there but on a different project. I am sure I will see you guys in the morning and partying at Robb's after the work is done!

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have the time, you should go!

I will be there but on a different project. I am sure I will see you guys in the morning and partying at Robb's after the work is done!
Yup, TDO needs lots of volunteers to help work on Walker Hill.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hey Todd, we're going to fence off the bypass that goes down the slabs to the bottom of the bowl. We have permission to drive on the private property for the purposes of this project, so we can get people and materials back and forth without having to drive through the gatekeeper and all the way around.

So far it looks like we need three teams, a wood gathering and transport team, and a couple fence assembly teams. As far as tools go, I think I have it covered, just need some bodies. :D

Later,
....Mike
I think I have that weekend free, I am going to really try to be there even if I have to drive my Mazda!!! :D

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I have that weekend free, I am going to really try to be there even if I have to drive my Mazda!!! :D
Sweet! I think we're going to camp near the gatekeeper Friday night and then at Robb's Saturday night.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
491 Posts
We're thinking about building something like this:

/QUOTE]
What about the third picture?
http://terragalleria.com/pictures-subjects/fences/picture.fences.grsm6762.html
these are easier
When I worked up at the Tetons for a couple of summers, I saw that these seemed to last longer than the Buck and Rails.
They had a lot of both kinds.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
We're thinking about building something like this:

/QUOTE]
What about the third picture?
http://terragalleria.com/pictures-subjects/fences/picture.fences.grsm6762.html
these are easier
When I worked up at the Tetons for a couple of summers, I saw that these seemed to last longer than the Buck and Rails.
They had a lot of both kinds.
ever tried to split rails? It ain't easy.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Those of you who showed up to help rebuild the Walker Hill bridge last year know what a fun project that was. This time we're teaming up with other FOTR people and building a fence to block off the gatekeeper bypass. We're thinking about building something like this:

There will be a big party afterwards at Robb's Resort just a few miles from Loon Lake. The food and raffle are going to be sponsored by BFG. There will be some magazine folks there as well.

Don't let the Rubicon scare you, a Honda can get to the spillway where we will be doing the work.

What better way to spend a weekend than wheeling, camping, and helping the trail at the same time!

See you there!
....Mike
I've already signed up for Albright's work day that weekend but might as well camp with you guys Fri nite.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've already signed up for Albright's work day that weekend but might as well camp with you guys Fri nite.
This is Del Albrights work day, we just have a few different projects to work on.

Later,
....Mike

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
This is Del Albrights work day, we just have a few different projects to work on.

Later,
....Mike
cool, we can hook up Fri for the drive up.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Me and Molly will be there, Mike.

Split rails work best, in my experience, with Locust. As tough and gnarly as it is, it splits lengthwise really damn well.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Me and Molly will be there, Mike.

Split rails work best, in my experience, with Locust. As tough and gnarly as it is, it splits lengthwise really damn well.
Cool, looks like we will have a good sized team to help out with the fence. We're not splitting anything though, just using the whole logs.

I think most of the work is going to revolve around finding suitable logs (around 6" in diameter) and getting them to the site.

Later,
....Mike

1 - 20 of 199 Posts