TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hace a 2005 tacoma 4wd with king coilover performance kit up front with tc uca's after a couple calls to king they all say that my shocks cannot be extended . but i wan to make use of my uca's and limit straps so i had an idea to put a .750" billet spacer between the upper shock mount and frame to give me the extera droop and then take preload off my spring to get me back down to my previous ride height. I also have the extra up travel so i wont bottom out the shock . But is taking the preload off the spring going to make the suspension too soft? is the extra travel for the limit strap worth this? is my valving going to be off? just a few q's befor i invest my time into it . in the long run i wished i would have gotten the donahoe setup insead of this headache

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
It would theoretically be possible to add a spacer IF you had the up travel. When you are sitting on fully compressed bumstops do you still have uptravel? I think not, and especially not with a top spacer. Sell them and buy donahoes-

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
This is the answer to your question: Call King and ask what stroke the shock is. Then call Donahoe and ask what stroke their shock is. If they are the same, then take the coils off, cycle the suspension to the bump stop and see how much you have left in the CO before bottoming out. If you can get away with a top out spacer go for it. As for taking adjustment out of the CO; it should not be a problem. There should still be plenty of pre-load left in the CO. The reason I say this is because lift is not linear. 1 inch at the CO does not equal 1 inch of lift at the axle, it is more. This mod will not effect your valving.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the response . i forgot that if i give it more shock length i will get more at the wheel i was just trying to get an extra 3/4 " down travel to compensate for the limit straps but now it looks like i may get more travel than that. i guess im pulling my spring off this weekend to confirm my measurements. ill keep it posted

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
10-4 glad the info helped you out. Keep us posted.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,528 Posts
just a (bad) idea. You will bottom out the shock since you are now moving it down .75" without limiting the uptravel.

Stop being cheap and buy an extended travel shock if thats what you want. I'm sure you can get most of your money back by selling those Kings and upgrading to Donahoes.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i pulled the spring off the shock this weekend and cycled the suspension. it turns out i can add a .4" shim to give me an extra .75" of wheel droop ( it almost seems like the uca is the limiting factor again).when i compress my suspension to the point where im on the bumpstop and lifting the frame off the jackstands i have .565" untill the shock bottoms out and if i have the bottom spring spacer on the shock turned down 1.2" i have that much more room before the shock bottoms out. question how much more will the bumpstop deflect? how much more droop do the extended hoes have and how do i make tire room for more up travel ? because if i reconfigure the bump setup to a king 2.5x2.5 bump and have my spacer on my shock modified i can get more uptravel , i am only at a measely 8.250" of wheel travel.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
just a (bad) idea. You will bottom out the shock since you are now moving it down .75" without limiting the uptravel.

Stop being cheap and buy an extended travel shock if thats what you want. I'm sure you can get most of your money back by selling those Kings and upgrading to Donahoes.
You have no idea if he will bottom his shock out with the Kings until he cycles the suspension. Unless of course you called King to ask what there stroke length is before making that quick reply. As you see, he didn't bottom it out...did he? Granted, he may have to add a tad to the bumpstop thickness to compensate for compression, but he still didn't hit bottom cycling the suspension.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts