TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated I picked up a 92 for wicked cheap. Just wanted to get some people's input on what to check out first and future modifications. I'm thinking addicted off road bumpers and sliders first then going from there. Here is a pic. It has 170k on it. I know it needs a new rear diff seal.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the bestops. I have one on my 2007. I got the truck for just a little more than it cost to buy the bestop. :) I bought it from a buddy who had two Toyota pickups.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You know I am just joking, good looking truck! I would definitely look into body armor first or your truck will end up looking like mine, all dented up everywhere!

·
7,735 Posts
You're on the right track. Sliders, skids, bumpers is where I'd start and in that order would be my advice. I list them in order of what I used the most on my taco.

After that comes suspension, larger tires and gearing.

was that gen still the old style IFS? if so, congrats. Having seen the old style IFS being abused on the trail, I'm convinced it's stronger than the newer style that most of us run.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yes Doug, this gen, until 95 came with the tortion bar front IFS. It doesn't have as much travel as your taco setup, but that is probably why it is more reliable :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, do you guys think the addicted offroad stuff is a good choice? I'm hoping to go down and pick the truck up this weekend if I have time then I want to start putting stuff on it ASAP.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
It's the V6, manual trans, with manual hubs.
So with the tranny and the hubs you should be in good shape.

As far as the engine here are things to check out:
  • Find out when and if it has been in for the head gasket recall, you might have to contact a Toyota dealer or Toyota directly for that
  • Make sure the cooling system works 100%, I've been preaching this many time because my 3.slow blew its head gaskets and didn't head the warning signs when it was over heating. In my case almost every part of the cooling system was bad
  • When was the timing belt replaced
There is probably more but those are the big ones that jump out at me.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I went rear locker first on my first rig then sliders. I used a cheap Power trax locker with 33" tires. Lasted for years, never had problems and worked great.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I will need a locker for sure. I use it in my 2007 a bunch. I will look into the cooling systems and what not. It was owned by a close friend the last two years so I'll have to ask what all he has done.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Bet you can sell those stock bumpers to help start a real bumper fund... take off the hood ornaments too; that's a Jeep thing. :p

Looks nice, you thought about trimming the bed at all? :saw:

>>Dan

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
People would actually buy the stock bumpers? Bed trimming will happen eventually as well. Gotta do this in steps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts