TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as the title suggests I just finished up my leaf spring mod on my 98 Tacoma 4wd. The set of leafs that I used to cut were from a 99 and had lots of trail abuse to them, not much arch. Well, I used all three springs from the 99 pack, cut all of them 2.5 inches shorter just as the thread suggested, and removed my overload, ended up 2.5 inches higher in the rear than stock! Don't mistake my explanation mark for being excited, I was a little dissappointed because when I read the write-up it explained that it may be a touch higher than stock (by a touch I'm assuming less than an inch). I have driven the truck around and am satisfied with the ride quality, however I need the ass end to be a touch lower. Luckily I am running coil spacers in the front (2 inch) so the tilt isn't too noticeable (9 inches from top of front tire to fenderwell, 10 in the rear). However I am wondering if others have similar experiences. I think I may just have to dig in and pull out a leaf, not a huge deal but wondering who else has had to do this. TIA

Ryan
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
SAStoy said:
Well, as the title suggests I just finished up my leaf spring mod on my 98 Tacoma 4wd. The set of leafs that I used to cut were from a 99 and had lots of trail abuse to them, not much arch. Well, I used all three springs from the 99 pack, cut all of them 2.5 inches shorter just as the thread suggested, and removed my overload, ended up 2.5 inches higher in the rear than stock! Don't mistake my explanation mark for being excited, I was a little dissappointed because when I read the write-up it explained that it may be a touch higher than stock (by a touch I'm assuming less than an inch). I have driven the truck around and am satisfied with the ride quality, however I need the ass end to be a touch lower. Luckily I am running coil spacers in the front (2 inch) so the tilt isn't too noticeable (9 inches from top of front tire to fenderwell, 10 in the rear). However I am wondering if others have similar experiences. I think I may just have to dig in and pull out a leaf, not a huge deal but wondering who else has had to do this. TIA

Ryan

So you put 2 or 3 more leaves in? My write up states it was a touch higher than before I rebuilt the pack. I already had an AAL in there + shackle. I ended up removing the shackle after the rebuilt pack + shackle put me over 5". Rebuilt pack alone is 4" (2 leaves from donor pack + cutdown aal).

The truck sits higher in the rear to start off with. around .5" higher actually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
atwinda said:
So you put 2 or 3 more leaves in? My write up states it was a touch higher than before I rebuilt the pack. I already had an AAL in there + shackle. I ended up removing the shackle after the rebuilt pack + shackle put me over 5". Rebuilt pack alone is 4" (2 leaves from donor pack + cutdown aal).

The truck sits higher in the rear to start off with. around .5" higher actually.

I put three in, I was assuming since I was using three stock leaves and not an AAL that it would leave me at stock height. I bought the spacers in the front to even the truck out because from the factory it sat 1 1/2" higher in the rear. I think that I will probably just remove one of the springs since I like the truck to sit even or just a bit higher in the front
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
SAStoy said:
I put three in, I was assuming since I was using three stock leaves and not an AAL that it would leave me at stock height. I bought the spacers in the front to even the truck out because from the factory it sat 1 1/2" higher in the rear. I think that I will probably just remove one of the springs since I like the truck to sit even or just a bit higher in the front
Fair enough, let me know how many you end up using, and what height you end up at.. I am trying to add more references on the write up so people have a heads up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
atwinda said:
Fair enough, let me know how many you end up using, and what height you end up at.. I am trying to add more references on the write up so people have a heads up.

You got it. I'm gonna go ahead and drive the truck around for a few days to let the springs settle in and I will drop you a PM to let you know exactly how much lift I got out of the three springs. Thanks

Ryan
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
SAStoy said:
You got it. I'm gonna go ahead and drive the truck around for a few days to let the springs settle in and I will drop you a PM to let you know exactly how much lift I got out of the three springs. Thanks

Ryan
Thanks! *awaiting PM*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
SAStoy said:
and removed my overload, ended up 2.5 inches higher in the rear than stock! Don't mistake my explanation mark for being excited, I was a little dissappointed because when I read the write-up it explained that it may be a touch higher than stock (by a touch I'm assuming less than an inch). I have driven the truck around and am satisfied with the ride quality, however I need the ass end to be a touch lower.
Don't remove any leaves, just put your overload back in. That will lower the rear and raise your load capacity.
 

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
Joined
·
18,482 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
Don't remove any leaves, just put your overload back in. That will lower the rear and raise your load capacity.
How will "adding" the overload into the pack "lower" the ride height? :confused: I'm figuring it will raise the rear by at least the thinkness of the overload spring. :rolleyes:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
Oppositeboy said:
How's the spare tire carrier holding up?
It's welded onto the bumper now.. :) It still isn't as secure as it probably should be, so I am going to get a proper latch.. I will put pics up when it's finished...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
Don't remove any leaves, just put your overload back in. That will lower the rear and raise your load capacity.
*ahem* care to explain that any futher? Last time I checked putting .75" of metal between the bottom of the leaf pack, and the spring perch would be .75" of additional height.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
atwinda said:
*ahem* care to explain that any futher? Last time I checked putting .75" of metal between the bottom of the leaf pack, and the spring perch would be .75" of additional height.
Well, I'm not sure why but I think pulling the overload gives you some lift on an empty truck. I could be wrong though, if so nevermind :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
ShowStop said:
How will "adding" the overload into the pack "lower" the ride height? :confused: I'm figuring it will raise the rear by at least the thinkness of the overload spring. :rolleyes:
I think it flattens out the arch in the spring when installed. I could be wrong, it's happened before...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
Well, I'm not sure why but I think pulling the overload gives you some lift on an empty truck. I could be wrong though, if so nevermind :D
The overload is the inverted spring at the very bottom of the pack. It has no affect when the bed is unloaded and when the springs are un-articulated. It only comes into play when the spring gets compresses via a load in the bed, flexing, or a slight bit with axle wrap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
atwinda said:
The overload is the inverted spring at the very bottom of the pack. It has no affect when the bed is unloaded and when the springs are un-articulated. It only comes into play when the spring gets compresses via a load in the bed, flexing, or a slight bit with axle wrap.
Yeah, I know what the overload is. Come to think of it, the truck I removed the overload from had the spring under the axle. I know I got lift but maybe it was all just the thickness of the leaf under the axle removed. It was my impression that the spring had more arch with the overload removed but it could have been my imagination.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My thread turned weird all of a sudden :confused: Anyways I don't foresee the overload ever making it back into my pack as ATWINDA suggested it serves no purpose other than the forementioned
 

·
Ban Count: 12
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
atwinda said:
It's welded onto the bumper now.. :) It still isn't as secure as it probably should be, so I am going to get a proper latch.. I will put pics up when it's finished...
You found a way to weld it up? Last I remember you were still trying to figure out how you were gonna do that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
Oppositeboy said:
You found a way to weld it up? Last I remember you were still trying to figure out how you were gonna do that.
Figured out that bit. I'm working on the latch now- Dan (SAS socal crawler dana 60s bling bling bling dan) pushed me on john bull from the swingout. that bent the current latch a little, and thus all the changes. I actually have a u bolt clamping the other end down so it doesn't move at all right now, I just gotta figure out a way to do that with the latch.

 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top