9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

been welding now for 2months or so and just picked up some 75%/25% argon/co2

I love how smooth gas runs compared to flux

this was done with semi-circles on a hobart 140 115v Machine

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
When welding with gas it is more important to have the surfaces as clean as possible where with flux welding you don't have to have them as clean. Just an FYI but things look good for your first weld. With any 110v machine, I would crank it up all the way if you are trying to weld thicker materials. Good luck!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Looks good for your first real MIG weld. Once I started using gas I vowed to never put flux core wire in my hobart ever again.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Remember to remove rust. You can't weld rust. A nice looking weld doesn't mean its a good weld. You should see some heat coloration around the weld . To be sure about the weld integrity, stick the welded part in a vice and beat the snot out of it. Try to break the weld. A nice looking weld may not have adequate penetration. If the parts bend after exerting brute force chances are it a good weld. If the weld pops or tears (cold weld) at the base of the weld make heat and or wire speed adjustments, Experiment with different metal thickness, heat settings, wire speed settings and beat up some scrap, its the best way to determine weld integrity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya i know about cleaning up rust and what not.... i didnt feel like putting alot of effort into this i just wanted to see how the gas worked and felt and i must say i like it alot.... gas doesn't penetrate as much but thats what preheating is for overall im very excited and i think it was well worth the investment to go with the gas....

·
Registered
969 Posts
Crawla 4Runner said:
ya i know about cleaning up rust and what not.... i didnt feel like putting alot of effort into this i just wanted to see how the gas worked and felt and i must say i like it alot.... gas doesn't penetrate as much but thats what preheating is for overall im very excited and i think it was well worth the investment to go with the gas....
You really don't have to pre heat. You can achieve great penetration with gas.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Crawla 4Runner said:
just go slower?
Yes, but experiment with heat settings, wire speed, and don't rush the weld.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Knock those welds down as you go, with that vice and hammer. let the welds cool first.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
It's a great start, but looks like you need more penetration. More heat, a little less wire feed and slow down. You'll be a pro in no time flat!

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Doesn't look like it to me. It looks like it's "diggin" into the metal on the edges a bit...

When I weld at work, I don't think I've ever cleaned off the rust unless it is really bad. You just need more heat.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It looks as though you may have some porosity going on. Your gas isn't creating a good shield. contaminants could be causing it, like rust or grease. Your gas pressure could be too low. Wind blowing through the shop will also do the trick

·
Registered
906 Posts
Just set the gas at about 15CFM and it should be fine. For the metal you're welding, I'd probably use 19-20V and around 220 FPM wire speed. Play with your setting as see what you can do. Have fun!

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Just set the gas at about 15CFM and it should be fine. For the metal you're welding, I'd probably use 19-20V and around 220 FPM wire speed. Play with your setting as see what you can do. Have fun!
You just want the gas as low as you can so you do not get any holes. Any more and you are just wasting...

·
Registered
4,489 Posts

been welding now for 2months or so and just picked up some 75%/25% argon/co2

I love how smooth gas runs compared to flux

this was done with semi-circles on a hobart 140 115v Machine
your moving to quick, slow your circles down and you'll be golden. Never be afraid to slow your movement down and let your weld penetrate longer.
other then that looks good for 2 months.

I'm on my 4th month of constant welding I had few flux core projects under my belt prior to working for shrockworks but gas was definately an improvement.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts