TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stevenson East has been servicing my 03 DC Taco for a while, and as I have been unimpressed with the SC on it, I paid for the 7th injector to be added. Unfortunately, I still don't think it's running right. I expect SO much more, but don't have anything to compare it to. So, if you have a DC or Xcab with SC and AT, AND you are in the Denver area, PM me. I would like to know who you are getting good service from. This was the first 7th their top guy had ever done, so I am hoping that someone has some help!

·
Registered
836 Posts
The TRD 7th isn't going to net you much, if anything, accept at WOT unless you have the URD AIC to go with it. The TRD 7th only sprays fuel at WOT. Go to www.urdusa.com and spend another $500 on a smaller pulley and 7th injector upgrade kit.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
itjobhunter said:
Stevenson East has been servicing my 03 DC Taco for a while, and as I have been unimpressed with the SC on it, I paid for the 7th injector to be added. Unfortunately, I still don't think it's running right. I expect SO much more, but don't have anything to compare it to. So, if you have a DC or Xcab with SC and AT, AND you are in the Denver area, PM me. I would like to know who you are getting good service from. This was the first 7th their top guy had ever done, so I am hoping that someone has some help!
Your description, that you are just unimpressed, does no describe a symptom that might be solved.

I have the S/C and 7th, though not in Colorado and at nearly sea level, and drove it without the S/C and with the S/C without the 7th. Each addition changed the truck considerably. If when the 7th was added you did not notice a change, especially when you floor it, along with a noticeable rumble, it could be something is wrong and you should check the installation.

Dealerships often install things with far less attention to detail than one might hope.

·
Registered
836 Posts
DennisDawg said:
Your description, that you are just unimpressed, does no describe a symptom that might be solved.

I have the S/C and 7th, though not in Colorado and at nearly sea level, and drove it without the S/C and with the S/C without the 7th. Each addition changed the truck considerably. If when the 7th was added you did not notice a change, especially when you floor it, along with a noticeable rumble, it could be something is wrong and you should check the installation.

Dealerships often install things with far less attention to detail than one might hope.
I doubt there are any problems with the installation, I just don't think the TRD 7th is going to be as noticable at 5000'+ because we don't have the air density to trigger it to spray any additional fuel. It makes sense that you would see a big difference at sea level, but think about this....a supercharged truck at 5000' is making just slightly more power than a N/A truck at sea level. Unfortunately, I think spending more $$ with URD is the way see the gains he is looking for.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Breathegood said:
I doubt there are any problems with the installation, I just don't think the TRD 7th is going to be as noticable at 5000'+ because we don't have the air density to trigger it to spray any additional fuel. It makes sense that you would see a big difference at sea level, but think about this....a supercharged truck at 5000' is making just slightly more power than a N/A truck at sea level. Unfortunately, I think spending more $$ with URD is the way see the gains he is looking for.
My problem with this is limited information. Dealerships install things incorrectly often, and I experienced it myself. That is why I do not generally let them have the truck and do things myself. We do not know if it is installed correctly or really what the symptoms are beyond, “I still don't think it's running right. I expect SO much more . . .” Nor are the gains he is looking for explained or tested.

Not exactly symptoms or hard data on which to base corrective action or further expenditure.

I have had my truck at altitude. I know how it feels when the 7th kicks in up high and down low. The 7th works at 5K’ and it is noticeable when it turns on.

I’d like to see some elaboration on the symptoms, and hard data before I offered any direction to take other than troubleshooting.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Remember once you get the air fuel mix right the car will feel slower then if it were lean. I have noticed too rich and it feels faster too. The butt dyno is no way to tune. Get it on a dyno with a wideband before you make any assumtions

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hey give Doug at Toytech Lifts a call he has a strong running S/C and also knows a great deal about diagnostics and may be able to get you aimed in the right direction.

I have suggested dyno tuning several times in S/C discussions on this board...check out some of the past posts for contact information!

·
Registered
878 Posts
vwfastg60 said:
Remember once you get the air fuel mix right the car will feel slower then if it were lean. I have noticed too rich and it feels faster too. The butt dyno is no way to tune. Get it on a dyno with a wideband before you make any assumtions
If you get the fuel mix and timing right it should be on the lean side...less fuel consumption and more power equals efficiency and that should be the goal!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
bluetaco said:
If you get the fuel mix and timing right it should be on the lean side...less fuel consumption and more power equals efficiency and that should be the goal!
True, but lean is more destructive to engines than rich, so most people aim to be stoichiometric or very slightly rich to keep from burning through the pistons. Especially at altitude - you tune lean up here and you're gonna be REAL lean at sea level.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
***update***

I put on the Walbro 190 fuel pump and the truck is running SOOOO nice now. I bought URD's electronics too (haven't had the time to install them), so we'll see how much better it gets. Either way, 90% of my troubles are gone!

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
w00t! Now you gotta come on a run or the H.O.W. and show us! It might be nice to finally meet you ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts