TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just went to help a buddy out, and he needed a "pallet of topsoil". Not really thinking about how much soil weighs (I'm not a landscaper, I don't usually think about soil weight), I told him I'd be happy to help him haul it. When the forklift slapped that pallet onto my truck bed, I noticed how far down the suspension was shoved (namely, to the bumpstops). And as I was *SLOWLY* driving out of the parking lot I then did a quick calculation on 60 40lb bags = 2400 lbs. Hrm. Rated capacity 1300lbs including driver, etc...

We made it the 1.4 miles to his house, but I was extremely careful to avoid any bumps and holes and dips in the road. We unloaded quickly, and the suspension seems perfectly fine.

I guess these trucks really are tough. But I definitely won't be doing that again!

Please note: I do NOT recommend anybody exceed the rated capacity of a vehicle, this is not intended to say it can be done in YOUR truck, just that mine didn't fall apart. Don't do this at home, etc.

·
Registered
491 Posts
When my 2000 was in for service around 2003 or 2004
the dealer gave a brand new truck to drive for 24 hours.
I got a pallet of river stones put in the back
same thing didn't know how much they weighed
until I looked and the bump stops were squashed
That is an odd ride on bump stops with only tires to absorb the bumps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it definitely is. It bounces more than you would expect, even on tiny stuff. Without the shocks to do their job, you forget how much oscillation there naturally is.

·
Registered
232 Posts
:xpopcorn2
waiting for the Tundra guys to chime in

·
Registered
952 Posts
I used the hell out of my truck this weekend to build a 8x12 shed. 16 sheets of t-111 and some 2x6 and some 2x4's I hit the bump stops a few times but thats it. I got to tell you though. Im very happy with the power this truck has.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I load two dirtbike up in my 2005 and notice a signaficant sag. My 98 didn't sag as much? But have a trailer now and 500lbs at the hitch seems to sag it a little. The springs are obviously weak.

Like to here someone chime in on how you beef up the capacity/level ride height without affecting to stiff offroad?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
get air bags...... that will help firm it up only for towing..... the downside is that it might limit droop articulation when wheeling

i flat towed my toyoa behind an f350..... that was a little bit scary at times.....

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
get air bags...... that will help firm it up only for towing..... the downside is that it might limit droop articulation when wheeling
I am getting them, firestones seem to be the best... one guy on here said there was no effect on his OEM travel.

It beyond the springs at that much weight, you stand a good chance of bending an axle shaft.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I am getting them, firestones seem to be the best... one guy on here said there was no effect on his OEM travel.

It beyond the springs at that much weight, you stand a good chance of bending an axle shaft.
And a housing... and a frame... and the bed...

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Air bag that bad boy. I didn't have any loss of droop when using the stock springs. I put a set of dakars on today and would not recommend bags with these springs. They flex a lot more than the OEMs and would probably rip the bags.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts