TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was able to pick up some factory rock rails through work for pretty cheap, so I gave them to my brother and we just installed them last night. Our only problem is that no matter what we tried we were only able to get 7 of the 8 bolts in on each side. No matter what we did it seemed the last bolt hole would never line up. It seems to me that the most important bolts structurally would be the bottom ones, and we were able to get them all on and properly tightened. Assuming my brother does not do a whole lot of off-roading and in reality will probably not do much if any sliding on these, does anyone think this would be a cause for concern?
They were mostly to replace his runningboards, which have gotten a little bent and banged up from his off-road trips, so these will mostly be doing street duty.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had a similar problem when I installed my allpro ones. I was able to get 8 on one side, but only 7 on the right hand side (couldnt get the upper one furthest to the rear).The holes looked like the matched up fine but not matter how much we screwed around it wouldn't get in there. Now, almost a year later I still dont have it in, and nothing bad has happened yet.
This doesn't help you, but take comfort in the fact you are not the only one.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have Demello's sliders, and they went on fine. Well, I put them on with my brother, so it took a little longer than if a normal person would have done it.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Just a dumb question. Did you leave all the other bolts loosey goosey then try to put that last one in? Weldments can be a real pain sometimes....

I've opened up all the through holes one drill size just to cheat that last bolt in!! Sometime it only takes a few thousands to make the difference. Okay, not on sliders, cause I don't have any yet, or an FJ for that matter, but other stuff... honest.

Sorry, I'm board....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well we did leave the bolts loose and we still could not get one or the other started. I guess we could file out the holes, but that would require a lot of effort that neither of us really feel is necessary at the moment. One thing I thought of was putting a jack under the bracket that will not line up and trying to flex it up and se if we could get the bolt on. I have done this on my truck before, as well as when we put a hitch on a friend's truck a few weeks ago.

If anyone feels strongly that these will not hold up that's what I'd really like to know. We probably won't do anything till we get back at least, as we are camping out at Joshua Tree and will be here till Sunday. I don't even think that we have any tools with us if we wanted to do anything.

·
Registered
680 Posts
7 out of 8 bolts on anything properly engineered like that won't make any difference. Esp. if your not beating the shit out of them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
7 out of 8 bolts on anything properly engineered like that won't make any difference. Esp. if your not beating the shit out of them.

That's what we decided on. We did some wheeling on Saturday and only tapped a rock with them once(good thing we got rid of those runningboards) so they held on tight. Only problem is we noticed a ringing sound on the highway that we think is a washer on a loose bolt on the driver's side. The top rear bolt went in really hard, possibly a bit crooked, and my brother finished it, so I'm not sure if he tightened it all the way or just thought it was tight cuz it got difficult. I didn't get a chance to check it out before I left, but I'm sure my brother will because it was bothering him. Thanks for all the input everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts