·
Registered
3,221 Posts
My 2000 has flange bolts.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The stock bolts do not use a washer.
Mine are stock and are bolt with washer, I bought the truck new in 02 from the toyota dealership. The only time the lower ball joint bolts could possibly have been replaced was during the ball joint recall, it's possible that they replaced them and used the wrong ones. I'll check with the dealer soon to see what part# is for my truck.

Both part #'s above came up when I searched for lower ball joint bolts for my tacoma but one is described as being bolt with washer.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
A bolt with a washer will be a 10.9 bolt. About a a 150k psi tensile strength. A 12.9 will be higher, roughly 170

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
A bolt with a washer will be a 10.9 bolt. About a a 150k psi tensile strength. A 12.9 will be higher, roughly 170
That's good to know, so the flange bolt might be a upgrade to what I have.

So I stopped by the dealer tonight and asked what the part# is for lower ball joint bolts for my tacoma, he said 90119-10933, the bolts with washers. I asked what aplication the 90080-10066 flange bolts show, it said tundra, sequoia, and some Lexus models if I remember right, must be early tacomas too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I need some help.

I had a 2003 Tacoma and got rid of it it due to this issue. I agree with what someone here stated that this is a bad design problem, not a manufacturing defect. I didn't want to be driving a truck without being able to have peace of mind on my safety and others' safety on the road.

Now I'm considering buying an earlier model Toyota pickup, perhaps an 88 - 94. However, it seems to me their IFS design is exactly the same as the later Tacomas 95-2004. At least the lower ball joint seems to me to be the exact same design as the 1st gen Tacomas'. In spite of this, I have not seen any report pertaining those earlier pickups on having the lower ball joint failure issue as the Tacomas.

Could someone give their knowledgeable opinion on this please? If I'm gonna buy another Toyota pickup, I wanna make sure it's not gonna have that same issue as the later Tacomas did.

Thanks!

·
Registered
746 Posts
I’d want to know what the failure rate is before I gave up on an entire generation of Toyota pickups. With all the first gen Tacoma’s out there, I can’t imagine it’s very high. Toyota has a recall to replace the ball joints, I’d like to think that would take care of the issue.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,557 Posts
I’d want to know what the failure rate is before I gave up on an entire generation of Toyota pickups. With all the first gen Tacoma’s out there, I can’t imagine it’s very high. Toyota has a recall to replace the ball joints, I’d like to think that would take care of the issue.
The recall addressed a specific manufacturing defect. The majority of the failures are due to lack of maintenance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ball Joint O.E.M. part numbers

Just for future help and reference. O.E.M. part numbers as of 4/10/2018

Left side Ball Joint 43340-39436

Right side 43330-39556

Bolts 90080-10066

The bolts came as a flange bolt style. The original to my 2004 Double Cab was the bolt with washer.

One of the new O.E.M. bolts sheared before reaching 59 lbs torque. I could feel it wasn't right and backed it out before it broke. Pulled it out and snapped it by hand. This has me concerned I may have a bad batch or maybe just got un-lucky with one of 8 bolts. The others torqued fine. I plan on rechecking them in a couple hundred miles.

Attachments

101 - 109 of 109 Posts