TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You can install a set of coilovers yourself, and all you need to do is take the wheels off unbolt the 3 bolts and the top, take out the shock and bolt in the 3 bolts again right? This is possible to do with just a ratchet?

One more thing, after installing Donahoe coilovers do you need to do an alignment? To fix the camber or anything?

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
There are three 14mm bolts on the top of the coilover. Break the loose, but do not remove them all the way. There is also a 19mm bolt on the bottom of the assembly. remove that, then remove the top three as you hold the coilover so it does not fall on you. You'd be doing yourself a favor to remove the sway bar end links while you are doing the install as well- but I have forgotten what size those are.. 17mm I think.

Put the new one in. The longer side of eye in the bottom goes towards the rear of the truck (to clear the CV). Use blue locktight on all threads when reassembling.

As long as you have a 14mm and 19mm ratchet, it's pssoible.

Yes, out of the box Donahoes are set for 2" of lift, which will require an alignment. Anytime you adjust the suspension it will need an alignment.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, that's what I thought I was just making sure. Where can I get locktight? And lastly how much do alignments cost?

·
Registered
228 Posts
You can use your bottle jack between the fender well and upper arm to push the arm down to make roof for the shock. Trying to pry it in scratches the shock finish. You'll need to have it set to minimum lift (or just where the spring is snug between top plate and adjustment collar) in order to get it in easy.

Easiest way to adjust I found is to see where you're at, jack it up in the center, take of the wheels, and adjust. I found that whatever increase you give the collar translates into roughly double that amount of actual lift. So, if you need to increase lift by 1", crank up the collar 1/2".

Easy. Took 2 hours to do both sides with no help, and a couple subsequent re-adjustments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts