TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday was my last work day in the Texas Oil Fields, I feel privileged to have worked with the Field Crew of the Waskom Field Office; I consider them all friends and they will be missed. It was by far the best job I ever quit...........:(

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what are you going to be doing now?

Well, I find myself in a position that I can completely retire at the ripe old age of 46 and fully intend to do so. The problem is, an oil and gas company, where we are moving in Arkansas, is now making offers that I may not be able to refuse. The job they are offering may not come open for a year or so, so I'll see if I can wear out a rod and reel before that decision rolls around.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow lucky you!!! how did you manage that?

I wish I could say I planed it that way, but I just accidentally made some good decisions early on. I did 24 years in the military and am now drawing that pension; I also am drawing 60% disability from service connected injuries on top of the pension. That combined with a good wife and family budget through the years, that we stuck to, we can now comfortably live on what I have coming in with out working.

This has been our situation since I retired from the military 4 years ago; I worked for the last 4 years in the oil field though, because I wanted to work and pretty much banked it all for a nice slush fund to fall back on if an emergency were to pop up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
46 is way too young to be even considering the word "retired." (IMO)
I really don't think you'll know what to do with yourself and will find another job eventually. It's not natural to not be industrious. Work is a positive part of life. The only problem is that so many people get stuck doing something they hate and are too scared to find something else cause they're debt already owns them...

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
i cant even imagine retirement. i have way to many expensive hobbies. i see myself in 40 years (ill be 60) working full time at an engineering job making 6 figures, still broke as hell all the time.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
i cant even imagine retirement. i have way to many expensive hobbies. i see myself in 40 years (ill be 60) working full time at an engineering job making 6 figures, still broke as hell all the time.
That's pretty pathetic. If in 40 years, you're 60... then you're 20 now and that means you don't know diddly dick shit about life. Trust me, your outlook will change. At least, I pray your habits/outlook changes. Otherwise, it's people like you that make me hang my head in shame... b/c you've got potential to be fiscally responsible, yet you blow it.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
That's pretty pathetic. If in 40 years, you're 60... then you're 20 now and that means you don't know diddly dick shit about life. Trust me, your outlook will change. At least, I pray your habits/outlook changes. Otherwise, it's people like you that make me hang my head in shame... b/c you've got potential to be fiscally responsible, yet you blow it.
i am willing to bet i have more money to my name that you do :flipoff4:

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
That's pretty pathetic. If in 40 years, you're 60... then you're 20 now and that means you don't know diddly dick shit about life. Trust me, your outlook will change.
Im 23 and I know all of this is soooooooo true

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
i am willing to bet i have more money to my name that you do :flipoff4:
Ha! What, do you want some sort of recognition for that? It doesn't take much to have more than someone who is in school and works part time jobs. Plus, in 3 yrs, I'll make 4 times what you've ever made ha!

·
Registered
191 Posts
i gots ma guns n my truck. don't make much but i don't need much either. I can't brag that i got more than anybody but I can sure as hell brag that i got no debts and i can survive on less than most and not be homeless...

that's all the riches i need. i'm content to work till i die

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Ha! What, do you want some sort of recognition for that? It doesn't take much to have more than someone who is in school and works part time jobs. Plus, in 3 yrs, I'll make 4 times what you've ever made ha!
Thats what all you college kids keep arguing, but tell me something.

Where are the jobs? College doesn't guarantee you more money anymore, it did 10-15 years ago, but not this day in age. It can't even guarantee you a post-graduate job anymore. College drop out rate is at its highest point right now because everyone knows that it doesn't mean shit currently. I know more people that went to college and graduated that are jobless than I do who came straight out of high school and went to work.

Also, if you're doing loans in 4 years you wont be making more money than anybody else because you'll still be paying back those loans. So by the time your loan payments are paid, your bills are paid, and you buy shit to feed yourself and wipe your ass that leaves you with what kind of expendable income?

Further more, I'd rather do something I enjoy for less money than have a 6 figure income in some big office building in congestion central downtown wherever, and hate my life everyday. At this point, some money is better than no money.

On topic though, I'll retire when I feel like it. If I've got enough money saved up when I'm 40, then I'm done. If i hit the lotto at 25, guess what? I'm done.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thats what all you college kids keep arguing, but tell me something.

Where are the jobs? College doesn't guarantee you more money anymore, it did 10-15 years ago, but not this day in age. It can't even guarantee you a post-graduate job anymore. College drop out rate is at its highest point right now because everyone knows that it doesn't mean shit currently. I know more people that went to college and graduated that are jobless than I do who came straight out of high school and went to work.

Also, if you're doing loans in 4 years you wont be making more money than anybody else because you'll still be paying back those loans. So by the time your loan payments are paid, your bills are paid, and you buy shit to feed yourself and wipe your ass that leaves you with what kind of expendable income?

Further more, I'd rather do something I enjoy for less money than have a 6 figure income in some big office building in congestion central downtown wherever, and hate my life everyday. At this point, some money is better than no money.

On topic though, I'll retire when I feel like it. If I've got enough money saved up when I'm 40, then I'm done. If i hit the lotto at 25, guess what? I'm done.

I have a college degree and make $8.00 per hour woohoo

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah I will graduate next spring and I'm pretty much screwed on a job right now that pays enough to be comfortable. I'm probably going to end up trying to get into pharmacy school just to spend another 4 years in school. I keep telling myself it'll be worth it but I would in all honesty just rather just move to colorado and get a mid salary range job (even though there's not a lot of jobs in CO) and be able to enjoy life. Who knows, but a simple undergraduate degree isn't what it use to be, not even close.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts