TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i spent the better part of today putting my new header, cat and muffler on. i even spent time painting my pos pacesetter header and cat with some nice hi temp paint. drove it aound the block, louder then i wanted but not too loud. by the time i drove around the block the paint that pacesetter applied pealed off about half the header taking my paint job with it leaving bare metal. oh well, at least its done. i just had to vent for a sec. :xbeer3:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Years ago when I worked in a parts shop, we always told people that bought Pacesetter headers and mufflers and wanted to paint them with high temp paint to spray it with paint remover first. They don't use any special paint. You could could always smell the paint burning off. This was back in the V-Dub, Baja Bug days.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hindsights 20/20, peace on it. i wish i would have know that yesterday though. i will fix it later, i want to replace the crappy gasket.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
also if you painted it the same day, maybe it didnt have time to completely cure?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just replaced my exhaust also. Had the muffler and pipe going to the converter welded with flanges at each end and a O2 sensor flange about eight inches behind the converter. The the tail pipe section has a flange on it to bolt to the muffler. I painted the muffler and pipe with Duplicolor High Temp paint. It set in the garage about 2 weeks before I bolted it on. So far it is looking good, but I haven't done alot of driving since the install. I didn't paint the tail pipe though. Duplicolor says that the paint will smell like hot plastic while it is curing. I didn't cure it in an oven. Been trying to cure it on the truck. Everytime it gets hot, there is that plastic smell. I just hope the paint stays on there.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can smell the plastic too, had to check a few times to make sure its not on fire. what size muffler did you use?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I kept everything from the cat back 2.25" exhaust with a Hooker Aerochamber muffler. The tail pipe goes over the frame and exits in front of the back tire. The project started off with replacing the cracked manifold. Bought a LCE header and decided to do the cat back at the same time. Well, when the exhaust came off, the converter was shot, so I replaced it with a Magnaflow. That had me held up for a little while because I had to order the converter. So far it really seems to be working well. Just glad to have it all back together. What muffler did you use, and are you liking it so far?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i bought a cheap turbo muffler and a magnaflow cat from summit. it doesn't have anything out of the muffler yet, i am still working on that. i refuse to pay a shop 70 bucks for that. i think its a little loud which is probably just fine for most people.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mine was way to loud before I put the tail pipe on. It is alot better now. The muffler was an Ebay find. I got it for cheap. Actually, so was the converter. For the tail pipe material, I bought two mandrel bent u-shaped pipes. Just a few cuts and welds and it was finished. I don't weld, so I paid to have that part done. I have a cheap chrome turndown that uses screws to hold it in place on it now. I am trying to decide if I want to use a turndown or an angle cut tip. Probably put a stainless tip on when I decide which one.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Did you guys notice any power gains by going with a header and 2.1/4" exhaust??? Is that hooker muffler loud? I'm going to have to do the exhaust on my 97 2.7 soon. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Some people claim to lose a little torque on the low end with the header. I didn't notice any of that at all. I believe there is a performance gain from low end to upper end. Seems to be more noticeble in the mid and upper rpm range. After installing the tail pipe, the Aerochamber muffler doesn't seem to loud to me. The volume is really comfortable at highway speeds. I was afraid that it would be annoying, but it isn't. I had my dad to get in it and drive by. Once the truck was at cruising speed. The exhaust wasn't any louder than the tires. The exhaust is flowing much better without any annoying sound. I am happy with it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i noticed a difference all across the board but my exhaust had 210k on them so my cat was fairly anemic. i haven't had it over 40mph so i am not sure what cruising speed sounds like yet, i think after i get a tail pipe on i will like it better. its defenitly deeper.as far as power goes, its a little more responsive but you can only get so much and then its still going to be slow, as long as it runs good

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CYi5 said:
like this i think. i don't have my leafs and shackle on yet to tell if i can run it out above the leaf.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That is enough pipe to help tone down the volume. Should sound good. You will probably be able to go above the leaf if you keep it close to the frame. Just don't put it close enought to the frame to where it will vibrate and hit.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i would like it to exit out the side. it will be something i look at after i install the lift and see how much clearance. i may just point it out and cut it before the frame, that way there is no issue with clearance and flex.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts