TTORA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can tell who here hasn't been in third world countries where few vehicles are modified but take more of an everyday beating than most of the trucks on this forum ever will. People sometimes forget that most of the world doesn't have a road network like we do and just getting to town can be a rougher trip than some of our purposeful off-road trips. They routinely overload their vehicles (often cheap eastern-bloc or econo European cars) with both people and supplies. They carry livestock in the trunk, etc. According to some here, my father's Land Rover in Sudan (he's a geologist) wouldn't count because it was stock, but he carried extra water, fluids, tools, etc.

Jimmy Buffet was asked where Margaritaville was he said it's any place you want it to be, it's a state of mind. There aren't many places left unexplored these days- just unexplored by us. :driving:

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
....Jimmy Buffet was asked where Margaritaville was he said it's any place you want it to be, it's a state of mind. There aren't many places left unexplored these days- just unexplored by us. :driving:
Sounds like a good quote..... :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Jimmy Buffet was asked where Margaritaville was he said it's any place you want it to be, it's a state of mind. There aren't many places left unexplored these days- just unexplored by us. :driving:
Well said!

Margaritaville - Mexico.......Is a pretty nice place i hear:)

:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
But exactly 'what' makes a rig an expedition vehicle?

A purpose-built expedition vehicle should have:

1. Ability to carry more fuel than originally delivered from the dealer. Auxiliary fuel, be it an extended range fuel tank or on-board external fuel cans.
2. Self-sufficient - i.e. carries the basic needs of the occupants (along with basic vehicle repair items)
3. Extended range communication equipment
4. ???

4. Spending $100'000.00+ so you can "Drop the Kids off at the Pool"...inside your rig.:rolleyes: Meh, I don't know about you, I don't shit where I eat or sleep.

·
Registered
412 Posts
LMAO - Expo-panache!

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
:D "A purpose-built expedition vehicle should have:

1. Ability to carry more fuel than originally delivered from the dealer. Auxiliary fuel, be it an extended range fuel tank or on-board external fuel cans. CHECK
2. Self-sufficient - i.e. carries the basic needs of the occupants (along with basic vehicle repair items) CHECK
3. Extended range communication equipment CHECK
4. Pintle mounted M-240B and a metric butt-load of 7.62. CHECK"
no that a expedition rig lol i love it

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
That is a fairly long list, and I realize it gives the discalimer, "It's not intended that you take all the stuff" but at the point you need a valve spring compressor you should just call it a day . . .
Lol, whats wrong with pulling a head and replacing a valve? Lol. And you can use alot of tools multiply. Like two vicegrips might work as a spring colapse, And if your desperate enough its amazing what you can acomplish with your bare hands. I would have no problem at all replacing a valve or even a rod/piston if i had to. But reusing a head gasket?? Might get ya home..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have spent awhile now looking into preping a vehicle for expedition use and it is easy to get dragged in to a sort of jack up your home and slip wheels under it mindset. I have read about people asking if they will be able to catch a certain soap at a certain time on the 42" plasma that is going to be strapped to the roof:rolleyes: They then want to know what is the highest lift and wheel combo they can get under there ect.

IMHO the following is a good start:

Careful servicing of a pretty much stock 4x4, choose one that is common to the area you wish to visit.
Forget big wheels they are harder to replace but fit a good quality tyre.
Second spare wheel.
Upgrade springs and shocks a little lift maybe 2" but nothing that would involve screwing the drivetrain performance.
Weight must be kept below the GVW as much as possible so a decent payload rating.
Decent fuel range so perhaps an additional tank.
Winch

The rest is up to the individual with regards to survival, comfort ect

regards

Dave

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
You can tell who here hasn't been in third world countries where few vehicles are modified but take more of an everyday beating than most of the trucks on this forum ever will. People sometimes forget that most of the world doesn't have a road network like we do and just getting to town can be a rougher trip than some of our purposeful off-road trips. They routinely overload their vehicles (often cheap eastern-bloc or econo European cars) with both people and supplies. They carry livestock in the trunk, etc. According to some here, my father's Land Rover in Sudan (he's a geologist) wouldn't count because it was stock, but he carried extra water, fluids, tools, etc.

exactly! I've been places in a 71 toyota corona just to go surfing that most here would plan a month for. That said, the most important thing to take when on an expedition is a good pair of hiking boots as there is a chance you may be walking a long way out when shit really goes wrong:D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Just to add my two bits, there are gona be people (ME!) posting in this section, and talking about expo, that don't have an expo rig, but not everyone can just go out and buy all the coolest gear, load up and head out. We have to start somewhere, I wouldn't consider my tacoma an expedition vehicle at all, it's just my 4x4 truck, but it's going to take me from b.c canada, to texas and back pretty soon, thats a hell of an expedition,(4000km there and 5500km on the way back) I'll be living out of the canopy and a tent. it also takes me camping, on week long trips to remote places, and I have no issues.

I was also looking at this rig...

I realized that as cool as it looks as an expo rig, I wouldn't say it's any more of an expo rig than many of the ones on here, it just has the look.
There is a basket on the roof and in the back filled with stuff, but the bed of the truck is completely empty.....
when you really look at it, who doesn't have a hi-lift, shovel, axe, spare tire, jerry can and a tent?
If that truck wasn't loaded with stuff, it would just be a tacoma with an arb and some baskets...
Not really trying to make a point with that part of my post, but just sayin.

·
Registered
119 Posts
An expedition vehicle is about the destination, not the journey. As in "I'm going to (secret location here)" instead of "I'm going rock crawling".

·
Registered
388 Posts
i also agree and say its about the journey

61 - 80 of 102 Posts