TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I have a stock 01 trd 3.4lt V6. Is it worth it if I buy the K&N filter to replace the stock air filter?

I don't think I want to pull out the full airbox and do that system, just want to switch filters.

Would I notice anything? Will it sound cooler? Any better performance or miliege?

Thanks
Chad

·
Registered
195 Posts
Who wants to say it first.......:D

People have different views on this, but .......The oil on the K&N can gum up your MAF sensor.......

ahh hell, I'll say it..
Search and you shall find tons of info on K&N.......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, K&N filters are better than paper. You can clean them as often as you want, they improve air intake which moderately increases performance and there will be an audible hissing sound whenever you lay on the throttle.

BUT, the oils used on the K&N and TRD filters tend to gunk up the Mass Air Flow Sensor after a couple months. If you decide to install one, just check the MAF periodically, especially if the idle becomes rough or the check engine light comes on. I learned this the hard way about 3 years ago, when my truck wouldn't start and the dealership buttfucked me for $600 claiming the electrical system was damaged. There was no damage... I later found out all they did was install a new MAF and threw my factory TRD air filter in the trash. Unfortunately I didn't know shit about automobiles back then and was down in San Diego for college without access to tools or a garage. Live and learn!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hey there,

I have a stock 01 trd 3.4lt V6. Is it worth it if I buy the K&N filter to replace the stock air filter?

I don't think I want to pull out the full airbox and do that system, just want to switch filters.

Would I notice anything? Will it sound cooler? Any better performance or miliege?

Thanks
Chad
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64564

You are posting these simple, already discussed questions in the wrong folder. I would advise using the search button.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i just put a k&n filter in my pickup there is a noticeable difernce in power and i go to school in vermont but my home is in new york normaly it the trip takes a full tank but after i put the filter in i still had a quarter of a tank when i got to vermont and i brought somone up with me so ya they make a big difernce

·
Registered
351 Posts
i just put a k&n filter in my pickup there is a noticeable difernce in power and i go to school in vermont but my home is in new york normaly it the trip takes a full tank but after i put the filter in i still had a quarter of a tank when i got to vermont and i brought somone up with me so ya they make a big difernce
Did that school in Vermont ever teach you about using a "period" in any of your sentences?

·
Registered
892 Posts
In my 96 taco...I had the K&N drop-in and the deckplate mod.

My truck was a manual and in terms of 'pep' - the rpm's increased a lot faster than before.....especially from a stand still.

I had the filter on for probably 4-5 years and never had any problems like people mention. I took the filter out twice a year and cleaned it. I never had any problems with too much oil gunking up the maf. If you spray too much oil on the filter, it will go into your engine.

I kept it clean regularly and often - because I've always believed that the oil in the filter can get 'full' and not filter as good as when its cleaned (allowing fine particles & dust through it). I always had a paper filter to use when the K&N was getting cleaned. I'd leave the K&N overnight to fully dry before applying the oil and putting it back into the truck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I kept it clean regularly and often - because I've always believed that the oil in the filter can get 'full' and not filter as good as when its cleaned (allowing fine particles & dust through it). I always had a paper filter to use when the K&N was getting cleaned. I'd leave the K&N overnight to fully dry before applying the oil and putting it back into the truck.
That is the correct way to re-oil them. That is where alot of people mess up; 1. they put on too much oil, and 2. they don't let them dry enough, or at all for that matter.
If done like above mentioned, there should be no problems. But, there will always still be the great K&N debate!!;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I clean mine every six months also, and have not had any problems in the 3 years so far.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've had mine in for about a year and a half now, have had no problems with it either. I've cleaned it twice since i've had it. Like everyone says the problems come when you over oil it and dont let it dry long enough. Take it for what its worth. Some people like them some people don't

·
Registered
779 Posts
hay asshole i dont feel like puting in periods ok. so kiss my ass.
great way to get responses around here... I also assume you "don't feel like searching" anyways, since I am done being pissy, I have a k&N drop -in with a deckplate..check it regulary and it's fine...

-Alex

1 - 16 of 16 Posts