TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard that a K & N drop in filter will let dirt into your engine? I ran into this over at the Tundra Solutions page. Has anyone experienced this with their K & N? While we're at it...do you think it gives more power?gas milage?

Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
People on this site have mixed reviews... Some like it and some don't... I guess it's all up to personal preference on how you want filter the air into yer truck! ;)

I've heard instances of having no issues... then others say they are crap! So... it's all on you buddy!! :p

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Animal said:
People on this site have mixed reviews... Some like it and some don't... I guess it's all up to personal preference on how you want filter the air into yer truck!

I've heard instances of having no issues... then others say they are crap! So... it's all on you buddy!!
X2

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
IMO the small performance increase is not worth the risk to your engine. If you want an unbiased opinion, look on the diesel websites. You will NEVER see an educated diesel owner running anything remotely resembling a K&N filter. They let way too much dirt into the intake. If the diesel guys aren't running it, it's probably not a good idea. I ran a Cat paper element in my ford diesel and the intake was always clean. I ran a K&N years ago on my race car and wasn't happy with it, so I stopped using it. There is always a price to pay for increased airflow, usually to the tune of extra dirt and more fuel consumed. The only way to avoid this is to go to a much larger surface area paper element. K&N tries to limit the dirt intake by using oil on the filter element. This is brilliant...Oil attracts and captures dirt, which then prematurely clogs the filter, which negatively effects performance. Then, that big air pump (the engine) still needs air to perform. So what does it do? It sucks even harder to overcome the restriction and lets dirt past the filter. It's pure physics, a fact that can not be denied. Also, it's a good idea to simply ignore the claims of increased mileage that come with the increased performance. This is just a BS marketing ploy. The increase only exists under strict lab conditions with computer controlled acceleration and a perfectly clean filter element. If you get your hands on extra HP, you WILL use it and your gas mileage WILL reflect it in a negative way. Plus, why would you want to have wash and re-oil your air filter on a regular basis? Again, just MHO from many years of tried and true experience. Good luck.

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
RCBS said:
Has anyone heard that a K & N drop in filter will let dirt into your engine? I ran into this over at the Tundra Solutions page. Has anyone experienced this with their K & N? While we're at it...do you think it gives more power?gas milage?

Thanks for the input!!
An air filter has ONE purpose, to filter dirt and contaminates out of the air going to your engine. The one I had on my truck still let dirt past. That tells me isn't not working right. I got rid of it and ran an Amsoil filter (and now a Trueflow filter). Works much better. No more K&N for me.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I gotta say I had a K&N and it let dirt into my intake. Ran it for a while and upon taking off ym intake tube for maintanence I found dust inside the boot. They do not filter the air well enough for a vehicle that is not going to have the engine rebuilt after every race.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Like the men said.... more air, more dirt. Not earth-shaking but perceptible performance gain in some applications, but responsible for a lot of dusted turbos. Only people I know who run them don't care because the car will become someone else's problem before the real damage happens.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
mojavegold said:
IMO the small performance increase is not worth the risk to your engine. If you want an unbiased opinion, look on the diesel websites. You will NEVER see an educated diesel owner running anything remotely resembling a K&N filter. They let way too much dirt into the intake. If the diesel guys aren't running it, it's probably not a good idea. I ran a Cat paper element in my ford diesel and the intake was always clean. I ran a K&N years ago on my race car and wasn't happy with it, so I stopped using it. There is always a price to pay for increased airflow, usually to the tune of extra dirt and more fuel consumed. The only way to avoid this is to go to a much larger surface area paper element. K&N tries to limit the dirt intake by using oil on the filter element. This is brilliant...Oil attracts and captures dirt, which then prematurely clogs the filter, which negatively effects performance. Then, that big air pump (the engine) still needs air to perform. So what does it do? It sucks even harder to overcome the restriction and lets dirt past the filter. It's pure physics, a fact that can not be denied. Also, it's a good idea to simply ignore the claims of increased mileage that come with the increased performance. This is just a BS marketing ploy. The increase only exists under strict lab conditions with computer controlled acceleration and a perfectly clean filter element. If you get your hands on extra HP, you WILL use it and your gas mileage WILL reflect it in a negative way. Plus, why would you want to have wash and re-oil your air filter on a regular basis? Again, just MHO from many years of tried and true experience. Good luck.
That is the best explanation of why I don't use K&N anymore. Great post Mojave!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Car guys have had the same debate. Though I'm sure it's a more critical one, with off-roading trucks!

K&N had their market cornered for a long while, but I think the 15 minutes of fame have passed, at least for those in-the-know. (aka - People who read threads like these.)

I still have mine in place, but will probably rip it out, this year. I'm a Subaru man, and some folks are stepping up to the better-quality STi filter. Still paper, but a better grade of filter than the stocker. I'll probably do the same.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I had one a long time ago and found that it let dust into the intake. The dust was real and not imaginary dust. I checked it after cleaning the dust out then cleaning and reoiling filter several times and the dust would always be there. Take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
83 Posts
No more K N's for me...

My first experience with Kand N was with a new gas sucking Ford 4x4 w/ gas motor. it actually gave me 2 mpg better immediately. Since then I have placed it in evey truck or car I bought (about 6)...and I have NOT had the earlier experience repeat itself, and have seen no further positive gains.

In addition I have been reading up on experiences from owners of all types of trucks and jeeps and have decided that I will not buy another K and N.

I just bought my first Taco (02 DC 4x4) and it has a nasty-filthy- K and N in it. I am going to toss it and stick with a hi-quality paper element. :2cents:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Tacoma0309: thanks for the back pat! I've been down that road before, so I figured I'd share a little of the old mans experience. Rock on bud!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
11 Participants
mojavegold
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing