TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to buy the K&N cold air intake for my taco. anybody have experience with that? good or bad?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I had one on my truck for about 6 months, 7-8000 miles..it did not seem to do much for me beside make the MAS a little dirty..put back on the stock intake and sold the K&N on ebay...just my opinion though...

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Don't get it. If you want something like that, look at the AFE one. dry filters will make your MAF and your TB more happy too.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Throttle Body. Thet get really pissed with the oil type filters after a while.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i have one on my 05 taco and I love it. It has been one for 6 months now and never one problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This brings up a good question. I bought my '06 taco used and the jackass who owned it prior to me went with the poor mans "cold air" KN intake. He took off the stock air box and took the cone K&N filter on the tip of the intake box. So rather than spend the money to put the stock box back on...does anyone know if AFE sells a filter thats the same size and I just replace it with a dry version?

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Don't get it. If you want something like that, look at the AFE one. dry filters will make your MAF and your TB more happy too.
The AFE is just another intake with just another heat shield. IMHO, just as crappy as the next product...

Why not a Outlaw? Just about the same price and a true cold air intake.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
im looking to buy the K&N cold air intake for my taco. anybody have experience with that? good or bad?
i had the deckplate, now I have the FIPK... same shit... both do next to nothin in my opinion. FIPK sounds good though ;) .

BTW, hell ya on the quote in your sig... a great man once said that...:D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hahahaha ya, i thought that shit was pretty funny

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
They are bad. Do not waist your $$$. Search for the deckplate mod and do it instead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Damn... I wish I had checked the forums before I got mine. I've had my truck for about a year now and I was gonna use that "recharger kit" yesterday, but after reading this...I said forget it!

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Well you still have to clean the thing. Just go light on the oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, I just finished cleaning it and went light on the dressing. Kinda made me cringe though, after the fact...

·
Registered
395 Posts
After running one on my taco for a while, I noticed dust on the inside of the throttle body. Dust=not filtering air properliy and letting dirt into your engine. Dirt is BAD in the engine. Don't get a K&N.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have ran the k&n cold air, air raid, and some others on numerous trucks. After all of the money I spent on them I have reached this opinion. They don't filter good, pretty much they just make your truck engine louder and the power gained in minimal. I once too was looking for cheap ways to get more power, it comes down to this, want more power spend more money. I would take the 300 dollars you are going to spend on it and put it into your suspension or armor, if you are happy with them already then save and get headers and exhaust. Pretty much though IMO the factory Toyota motors are powerful enough to get you anywhere, if you want more responsive power get new gears. I am 100% against them, leave the factory intake and work on other things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts