TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am new to Toyotas I am sure I will be asking some basic questions. Anyways, my brother in law has the same year toyota as me with the same engine. He has had the check engine light in his truck on since installing a K&N air filter. He told me that the 3.4 o2 sensor gets clogged up from the filter oil and causes the check engine light to come on. Wondering if anyone else has this problem? I have put K&N's in all my trucks and have never had a problem. Thanks

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'd say the problem is over-oiling. People have a tendency to do that as most think more oil means better performance out of the filter...not so. Clean it real good, get all of the gunk out from the wiring, soak it in the solution in the recharger kit, then spray a layer of oil on the filter. If you over-oil the filter, some of the oil can drip off the filter and make even get sucked in through the intake tube cause the MAF sensor to activate the CE light. Never had this problem with mine, but I'm thinking this may be the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not worried about his that much since he knows the problem. I figured that over oiling could be the problem. I am going to go a head and get one for my truck since I have never had a problem with them in the past.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did you read the above posts? Your brother doesn't know the problem. The problem is oil on the MAF. Not oil on the O2 sensor. Driving with the CEL on is not a good idea, you could have another issue and do serious damage to your engine, but you already know that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree with the over oiling comments. I ran one for close to 10 years with no problems at all. I would always let it sit for a while after oiling, that way any drips fall off before reinstall. With my new truck I use a factory air filter as the K&N never really did anything for me and I don't drive enough to care about buying a new one every few years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
HFD67 said:
I am not worried about his that much since he knows the problem. I figured that over oiling could be the problem. I am going to go a head and get one for my truck since I have never had a problem with them in the past.
I am a little confused as to why you would spend your money on a K&N?

Significant increase in cost of normal.
Debatable increase in power. The gains are small.
Less filtration ability. (I will look up a study that I saw)
Reservicing takes a fair amount of time. (What is your time worth?)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have had a K&N for about 7 yrs. in my truck. No problems at all. Servicing does take a fair amount of time, but it isn't that bad. I just usually pic a day that I am doing other things around the house. Clean it between chores and let it dry. Lightly oil it between chores and let any extra oil drip off. Reinstall and finished. It doesn't have to be cleaned very often. I think the problem is that most people don't know when to stop with the oil. When I did my last tune up, I cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body. No signs of oil on the MAF sensor, and the throttle body was what should be expected.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, I've had this prob. in my truck. When you clean the MAF don't use any solvents as i did (gas) as it may destroy it. I had to replace mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I said o2 sensor instead of MAF sorry if this caused you confusion. When my brother inlaw cleaned his MAF the light went off. Then once he oiled his filter again it came back on.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
um then dont you have your answer? Use electronics cleaner for the MAF.. But dont over spray it. As for oiling it, dont over oil.. If your tired of it, get a AFE filter.. They come in both oiled and dry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts