TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the K&N FIPK for V6 04 Tacoma worth investing in? I've heard mixed reviews. :confused:

04 x-cab
V6 TRD

·
Registered
169 Posts
I LOVE MINE!!! it sounds great!

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
kamaaina1 said:
Is the K&N FIPK for V6 04 Tacoma worth investing in? I've heard mixed reviews. :confused:

04 x-cab
V6 TRD
If you want to spend that much money for bling then go for it but thats all your going to get. Deckplate mod and a good airfilter is your best bet.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
kamaaina1 said:
Roger that! Deckplate mod & K&N drop-in already done.
Thanks!
Im courious if the fipk will make any difference with the 2005. I know 245 hp is a major jump from 190 hp but i wonder.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
kamaaina1 said:
Just a little bolt on HP increase. Already have the K&N drop-in.
Well, the jury is out on HP increase. I have only seen two dyno tests done by real people. Both showed a loss of HP.

One was on my supercharged 4Runner. Dyno proven loss of HP and it ripped a big ass hole in my inner fender wall when it pulled the mounts right through the metal.

The other dyno run was on a non supercharged 3.4 and it had a bigger loss of HP then mine did.

There are lots of people that CLAIM they have had an increase, but I have yet to see any proof.

Most get it for the "looks" and the noise it makes.

I do have a tip for you the next time you clean that K&N filter. Hold it up to the Sun and see if you can count all those big ass holes in it that are much larger then the dust particals you want filtered out of your induction air. When I did that I put that POS filter in the trash and switched to something that would actually filter.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My dad has an airaid air filter in his 04 dodge deisel and its way better than a K&N no holes u can see thru, he felt gains when he put the airaid filter in.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i have it... it seems to me that i got a power increase *maybe its just wishful thinking :( *it does make a pretty cool sound tho...i dont know if it was worht the 250 bucks tho...true, i havent done my own dyno test on it so i couldnt tell you proof positive...

·
Registered
45 Posts
You know what, some say it does give some added HP and some don't. Gadget has a dyno with a HP loss and then I seen a dyno with a HP gain. (I'll try to find the site again then post it) It's just preference I guess. I had both the deck plate mod and now I have the K&N intake, in my opinion I feel a HP gain.......Got cash...buy it...

I got mine for $198 shipped at audio extreme call 330-726-2500 They sell it at a good price. I'm happy with it.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
kamaaina1 said:
Just a little bolt on HP increase. Already have the K&N drop-in.
in that case, no.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Gadget said:
I do have a tip for you the next time you clean that K&N filter. Hold it up to the Sun and see if you can count all those big ass holes in it that are much larger then the dust particals you want filtered out of your induction air. When I did that I put that POS filter in the trash and switched to something that would actually filter.
What would be a better filter? I have a K&N that I got for free, but I'm always about helping my truck out as much as I can.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a FIPK on my truck & I was a bit skeptical of it after reading all the stuff online. I took it off & just ran my stock deckplated airbox with a K&N drop in, then I noticed a difference. The FIPK does add a few mpg, and while my ass is no dyno, It definately accelerates much harder with the FIPK. Throttle response is much better. I reinstalled it & am glad I did.

If you got the money...go for it. The Cone filter that they give you with it filters just fine also. Ive never had a prob with dirt of anything inside the intake tube.

As for the whole ripping a hole in the fender stuff...that must have been the old design because I cant see how that could happen on mine. Plus the 4 Runner that Gadget tested it on was supercharged. Perhaps the supercharger puts that much added strain on the stock motor mounts??? It sounds like it.
I have 30,000 miles on my FIPK & no problems.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i picked mine up from a buddy that was selling his truck for 50 bux... i too likt the sound it makes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I love these threads, they get really heated. It pretty much depends what your looking for. I have it and admit the performance gains were minimal, better mpg and seemingly a minor gain in HP (but not dyno tested), but I really like the way it cleaned up the engine as well as the sound, and I don't think it's too ricey. Again, depends on what your looking for, not all of the opinions expressed may be best for you. And if cleaned and oiled properly you shouldn't get anything through the filter, I've cleaned the intake tube and throttle body before the FIPK and after and noticed no difference at all. And as for tearing through the sheet metal in the fender wall, impossible now with the new design, there are new mounting points. Gadget knows his stuff but may be a little biased to a particular company, maybe. :rolleyes:

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
I got my fipk 2 years ago because I got tired of replacing the OEs after every 4 mile dusty trail. i went through 4 filters one summer and gave up. I clean this thing once a year and the MAF at the same time. The little bit of extra super fine talc-like film that seems to get into the intake will be taken care of by the motor oil. I know guys who have run K&Ns for over 30 years of desert races and sand drags with no problems at all. If you get a filter with a bunch of hole in it it is either defective or you didn't clean it properly. If the former, sent it back to K&N since they are warranteed.

I get maybe a little better mileage and hp but I doubt its much...but it sounds cool :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts